Thread poster: Fernando Toledo

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:43
German to Spanish
Oct 29, 2013

Dear MemoQ Team,

I know a nice present for next Christmas:

http://focusrite.de/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-studio (or similar)

I think/hope the PC for the webinars has already 16 GB RAM

Sorry to say but ALL the webinars I tried to see are a audio disaster. I think the reason for this is not only the "bad" Internet. Some settings and a dedicated Sound Card could help a lot (for example, use a mono signal, not stereo, etc.)

Regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:43
Finnish to French
USB interface is a must Oct 29, 2013

I didn't attend yesterday's webinar, but I must agree audio quality in Kilgray's webinars often sucks. However, you don't need anything as fancy as the Scarlett Studio in order to achieve decent audio quality in a webinar (I know, because I have been a presenter in quite a few webinars), nor do you need 16 GB of RAM. What you need is an external microphone (or headset) that connects via the USB port. I personally use a Revolabs xTag wireless microphone (love it because it's light, wireless and I can wear it around my neck), but there are a lot of other good USB microphones out there.

The worst results (in terms of audio quality) are "achieved" when using a laptop's internal microphone.

Germany
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Of course Oct 29, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

you don't need anything as fancy as the Scarlett Studio in order to achieve decent audio quality in a webinar

The Scarlett is just a cheap and easy to use system.

the intention was to give a funny touch to the thread

In my opinion, for a webinar, podcast, etc. you need a condenser microphone... starting from 60 € you get something appropriate and very important is a extern audio interface (> 100 €)

nor do you need 16 GB of RAM.
In a presentation you are using a lot of applications at the same time... 16 GB is a must. You are selling a product! is like going to a job interview in pajamas

Regards

[Edited at 2013-10-29 18:36 GMT]

Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Not only the audio quality of the sounds sucks... Oct 29, 2013

... in Kilgray's webinars. I've listened to one where it was blatant that the poor guy hadn't prepared any script and was just rambling, digressing and basically rattling on to the point that it was just getting utterly annoying. One thing is to read (which can be quite annoying too but that happens quite a lot in webinars), another thing is to not know what your next word is gonna be... and being somewhat the "slave" of what's going on on the screen!

Christophe

Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
Spanish to French
+ ...
:-) Oct 29, 2013

In a presentation you are using a lot of applications at the same time... 16 GB is a must. You are selling a product! is like going to a job interview in pajamas

I like the comparison!!

[Edited at 2013-10-29 18:46 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:43
Finnish to French
overkill Oct 29, 2013

Fernando Toledo wrote:
In a presentation you are using a lot of applications at the same time... 16 GB is a must.

I beg to differ. memoQ is perfectly usable in 4 GB. In a webinar, you don't need to have 20 applications open: you need the program itself (memoQ), maybe a browser and an Office programme (Word), plus the software used for the webinar (in Kilgray's case, GotoWebinar), that's about it. All this fits in 4 GB.
You are selling a product!
is like going to a job interview in pajamas

Your presentation won't be 4 times faster and your sales pitch won't be 4 times better just because you have 16 GB instead of 4 GB on your computer. Decent audio and a fast/reliable connection to the internet are more important.

Germany
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Still imposible Oct 14, 2014

still impossible, since years the same, how are we supposed to follow a one-hour webinar with that horrible sound? After 10 minutes I can no more .... please, buy a sound equipment (micro + sound card) and set it correct in a appropriate location for streaming audio.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Webinars

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search