Sylvia Germroth Nordebo  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:58
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
Nov 1, 2013

Dear collegues,

For a while I have started to work with memoQ pro (Version 6.0.67) and I was/am very content with the features of the program. But now I have a problem which I just do not know how to solve. It seems to be a minor problem, but the client complains and as there are hundreds of files I just cannot do the editing work manually afterwards.

I am working on XML-files which contain manual line breaks. In most of the cases they do not matter, but in some they do
... See more
Dear collegues,

For a while I have started to work with memoQ pro (Version 6.0.67) and I was/am very content with the features of the program. But now I have a problem which I just do not know how to solve. It seems to be a minor problem, but the client complains and as there are hundreds of files I just cannot do the editing work manually afterwards.

I am working on XML-files which contain manual line breaks. In most of the cases they do not matter, but in some they do (f. ex. colon: line break). In these cases memoQ marks them with tabs or not at all and after conversion to target files they appear as tabs or not at all. It is not possible to use shift+enter to insert the manual line break. Is there maybe another key combination which does the trick? Maybe the problem is very simple and I just do not see how simple it is.

Working with the same files in Trados Studio 2011, Studio detects the line breaks correctly and marks them. But I would like to continue with memoQ of several reasons.

Has anyone had a similar problem and a way to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Sylvia
Collapse

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Try the Regex Tagger Nov 1, 2013

Hi Sylvia,

I haven't been in the situation you're experiencing yet, but I have a hunch memoQ's Regex Tagger may help you. If you run that on the source file when you import it or after importing it with another filter, it will tag specific entities, which you can define yourself or using the pre-defined regex that Kilgray has added.

Go to the "Format" menu and then to "Run Regex Tagger..." to call it up. Then you'll need to make appropriate settings.

If the
... See more
Hi Sylvia,

I haven't been in the situation you're experiencing yet, but I have a hunch memoQ's Regex Tagger may help you. If you run that on the source file when you import it or after importing it with another filter, it will tag specific entities, which you can define yourself or using the pre-defined regex that Kilgray has added.

Go to the "Format" menu and then to "Run Regex Tagger..." to call it up. Then you'll need to make appropriate settings.

If the initial setting doesn't help - you can see which tags are applied at the bottom of the window - then click on "Pattern..." to the right of the "Regular expression" window and select a regex element from there. You may need to try a few out before you get the right tags.

The Regex Tagger adds protective tags to the entities you specify while your file is in memoQ. If the line breaks are protected this way, you'll see the tags in the translation grid and will probably also be able to see the original line breaks in the preview window if it's active. They'll be removed when you export your translation, in which case the line breaks will all be intact.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Kevin Lossner has written about the Tagger on his blog TranslationTribulations, which may help you (see http://www.translationtribulations.com/2011/06/my-first-look-new-custom-tagger-in.html). Otherwise I'd post your message in the memoQ forum at Yahoo! Groups if I were you and/or ask Support at Kilgray about it.

Wish you luck!

Carl
Collapse

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I may have found a solution Nov 1, 2013

Dear collegues,

I searched again and maybe I have found a solution. While importing the documents, it is possible to change the filters and configurations, then the line brakes are take over correctly.

Thank you for reading.

Kind regards
Sylvia

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 4, 2013

Dear Carl,

thank you for your message and the link. For the moment being the changed settings for the file import do the trick, but I have written to the memoQ support as well, but have not received an answer yet.

I will keep you posted when they answer.

Kind regards
Sylvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ and manual line breaks

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »