How to move termbase from Trados to memoQ?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:38
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 13, 2013

I have a termbase in Trados 2011 / SDL MultiTerm that I would like to move over into memoQ 2013.

Is this possible? How to proceed?

Thomas

Direct link Reply with quote

Václav Pinkava  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:38
Member (2013)
Czech to English
+ ...
Maybe ... Nov 13, 2013

I'm no expert (yet) but have had no trouble importing into memoQ 2013 from TMX files exported from Trados, - but I guess this is not MultiTerm.

Try this: http://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00434/

You may find this useful, too: http://www.translationtribulations.com/2012/09/memoq-for-trados-studio-users.html

Good luck!

[Edited at 2013-11-13 01:31 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
Finnish to French
GlossaryConverter Nov 13, 2013

If your termbase is not too complex, you may want to try GlossaryConverter, an OpenExchange app written by an SDL employee. You will obtain an Excel file from which you can easily import your terminology into a memoQ termbase.

[Edited at 2013-11-13 06:49 GMT]

Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
memoQ 2013 R2 Nov 13, 2013

I believe the newest memoQ version (6.8/2013R2) directly supports importing termbases from Multiterm .xml files -- they are listed as a supported format along with CSV, TSV, TMX, Excel and TBX in the "Import terminology" dialogue.

[Redigerad 2013-11-13 13:08 GMT]

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
memoQ 2013 R2 Nov 13, 2013

The new version will not work for complex MultiTerm termbases. As Kilgray often says, translators do not need complex termbases, it is for agencies and institutions only. Yes, qTerm

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:38
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Xbench? Nov 13, 2013

Xbench can also import certain types of (not all!) MultiTerm glossaries.

Xbench

Michael

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Tab-delimited text export is the safest Nov 13, 2013

Hi,

the new memoQ will support XML files from trados, but to be sure ALL fields are visible in the import screen of memoQ you should:

- export MultiTerm in tab-delimited text
- eventually manually edit the text file if not all fields are displayed in the import screen of memoQ, or if too many garbage columns are present
- once in memoQ, carefully look at the fields and fîeld names in the import screen and tick when necessary.

Mike

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Why don't you try durect the approach? Nov 13, 2013

Multiterm supports export into CSV format and memoQ supports import from SCV files. So, the easiest is the direct approach, that is you export the term base from the MT into a SCV file and then open memoQ/Project Home Page, select the project with the term base into which you want to import the terms? select the term base and use "Import Terminology" option. Select SCV for the file format to import from and choose the fields for the source and the targdet terms. I have done this severak times when migrating from SDL to memoQ. The only tricky point is selecting the right fields for import in the SCV files.

[Edited at 2013-11-13 16:12 GMT]

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how to get the XML file? Nov 13, 2013

[quote]Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

I believe the newest memoQ version (6.8/2013R2) directly supports importing termbases from Multiterm .xml files -- they are listed as a supported format along with CSV, TSV, TMX, Excel and TBX in the "Import terminology" dialogue.

rad 2013-11-13 13:08 GMT]

Ok, thanks, but how do I get a Multiterm .xml file from Multiterm? Multiterm appears to use the format .sdltb and I cannot find any export option in Multiterm or Trados to generate other file formats.

Thomas

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but... Nov 13, 2013

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

Multiterm supports export into CSV format and memoQ supports import from SCV files. So, the easiest is the direct approach, that is you export the term base from the MT into a SCV file and then open memoQ/Project Home Page, select the project with the term base into which you want to import the terms? select the term base and use "Import Terminology" option. Select SCV for the file format to import from and choose the fields for the source and the targdet terms. I have done this severak times when migrating from SDL to memoQ. The only tricky point is selecting the right fields for import in the SCV files.

[Edited at 2013-11-13 16:12 GMT]

...how do I export the Trados termbase as CSV or SCV? I cannot find that option in my Multiterm (2011) or Trados (2011). Multiterm appears to use the format .sdltb.

Thomas

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to export as tab-delimited text? Nov 13, 2013

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi,

the new memoQ will support XML files from trados, but to be sure ALL fields are visible in the import screen of memoQ you should:

- export MultiTerm in tab-delimited text
- eventually manually edit the text file if not all fields are displayed in the import screen of memoQ, or if too many garbage columns are present
- once in memoQ, carefully look at the fields and fîeld names in the import screen and tick when necessary.

Mike

How do I export Multiterm as tab-delimited text? I cannot find that option - or any export option at all - in the Multiterm interface...

Thomas

Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
MultiTerm help file Nov 13, 2013

Thomas Johansson wrote:

how do I get a Multiterm .xml file from Multiterm?

This is described in the MultiTerm help file (press F1):

Home / SDL MultiTerm / Termbase Entries / Exporting Data / Exporting Termbase Data

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 13, 2013

solved it

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Sorry, first it is Tab-delimited, not CSV Nov 14, 2013

Thomas Johansson wrote:

...how do I export the Trados termbase as CSV or SCV? I cannot find that option in my Multiterm (2011) or Trados (2011). Multiterm appears to use the format .sdltb.

Thomas

Open your MT term base, select "CATALOG" in the left navigation pane (initally when you open your term base "TERMS" is selected by default). In the navigation tree under "Catalog Categories" click on "Export" and in the window on the right you will see your choices for export. Select "Tab-delimited export definition". Click the right mouse button and in the menu select "Process" and select the destination.
Then open memoQ, select or create a new term base. Click on it to make it active and then select "Import terminology" in the middle row of options below the list of term bases. Browse to your tab-delimited term base which you exported from MultiTerm and select it. Now the import window will open. For separator select "Tab". In the preview window in the bottom part of the import window find the fields that contain the source term (in my term base it is F5), go to the fields window just above the preview and select the number of the field containing the source term and click on the radio button "Import as term" and select the source language from the dopdown menu on the right (this list of the languages is supplied from the list you made when creating the term base, so basically there will be only 2 choices - source language and target language). Now find the number of the target term field in the preview pane (in my term base it is F10). Go to the Fileds Window above the preview and select this number and again select the radio button "Import as Term" and select the language for this field - apparently it will be the target language. After this click OK and the import starts.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to move termbase from Trados to memoQ?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search