How to move the translation memory from Across to memoQ?
Thread poster: Carina Dionisio

Carina Dionisio
Local time: 18:26
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 13, 2013

I have tried to move the TM from Across Personal Edition v. 5.7 to memoQ 6.5.5 but the segments don't match exactly. Can you help me?

Ahmed Maher  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Suggestions Nov 13, 2013

Hi Carina,

It is not a problem to export TM from Across to MemoQ. You just need to got to TM export and in Across and export it in TMX format.

If the problem is that you need to translate the same file in MemoQ, then you can try to export file from Across in a format that MemoQ can recognize. Then open it in MemoQ.

Regards,

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:26
Finnish to French
Segmentation by paragraph? Nov 13, 2013

Carina Dionisio wrote:
... the segments don't match exactly.

Do you refer to Across segmenting by paragraph, whereas memoQ segments by sentence?

Carina Dionisio
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Differences of segmentation Nov 13, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Do you refer to Across segmenting by paragraph, whereas memoQ segments by sentence?

That's exactly the case. After importing into memoQ the TM of Across I have tested it with an already translated document and only a part of the segments was matched since the splitting in memoQ is different.

[Modificato alle 2013-11-13 19:56 GMT]

[Modificato alle 2013-11-13 19:57 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:26
Finnish to French
Probably possible in memoQ Nov 13, 2013

I think there are several possible ways you can "re-segment" your TM in memoQ so that it's based on sentences rather than paragraphs. Ask on the dedicated mailing list, as this is where the real experts are.

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Change the segmentation in memoQ Nov 14, 2013

Hi Carina,

If you go to Project home / Settings / Segmentation rules, clone the segmentation rule set, edit it and delete all the segmentation rules (i.e. the segmentation rule set will be empty), then use it in the project, you are able to get memoQ to segment by paragraph rather than by sentences. You need to turn this into the default resource afterwards under Tools/Options/Default resources/Segmentation rules.

This will probably help, but you need to import your documents again - memoQ won't resegment already imported documents.

Just give it a try!

István

Carina Dionisio
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problems with segmentation Nov 17, 2013

Hi Istvan,

I have followed step by step what you wrote. MemoQ imports the TM correctly and segments it by paragraph but trying to import a document which I already translated with Across not all segments match 100%.

Do you have an idea? Thank you very much,

Carina

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No more ideas :( Nov 19, 2013

Hi Carina,

I'm afraid no idea anymore. I have never used Across, and can't really imagine how they are segmenting/storing texts. I suggest that you open the TMX file in a text editor and have a look at their segmentation - you'll see what counts as a segment, and you'll see whether there is any natural rule or not.

István

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Matching algorithms... Nov 20, 2013

Carina Dionisio wrote:

I have followed step by step what you wrote. MemoQ imports the TM correctly and segments it by paragraph but trying to import a document which I already translated with Across not all segments match 100%.

Do you have an idea? Thank you very much,

It's quite normal in almost all CAT hopping scenarios.
E.g. the tags may not be handled in he same way in both tools, the matching algorithms are different (e,g, the way the formatting is handled in memoQ).

E.g. in DVX, a sentence like:
I have three cats.
and
I have three cats.
are considered as 100% matches while memoQ applies a formatting penalty.
Each approach has its pros and cons.
I.e., indeed these sentences are not identical but the abstract DVX environment is usually faster because it's no need to apply a different formatting.

The same with the Trados matching, the match values are different for Word+Workbench, TagEditor and Studio.
These differences may be quite big for heavily formatted segments.

Try to enable/disable Trados TMX processing when importing TMX files.
The resulting matching will be different for formatted segments.
It should work also for TMX files exported from Across.
Just try it.
But I doubt it will be 100% compatible.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2013-11-20 15:59 GMT]

Carina Dionisio
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 20, 2013

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and clarifications. I'm sure I'll manage to solve the "problem".
Cheers,
Carina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to move the translation memory from Across to memoQ?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search