Installing MemoQ on a new computer: How do I deactivate the licence on the old computer?
Thread poster: Olaf Reibedanz

Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:07
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 24, 2013

Hi everybody,

I have a MemoQ Professional licence which I use on two laptops (with the extensions 01 and 02 at the end of the serial number). I am now going to buy a PC that is going to be my main computer. This means that before I can use MemoQ on that PC, I need to deactivate the licence on one of the two laptops, correct? If that’s the case, how exactly do I do that?

Thanks for your help!

Olaf

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Contact Kilgray first to make sure Nov 24, 2013

From Kilgray's website:
From: http://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00257/0/Installing-memoQ-on-a-third-computer.html
Because each serial is associated to the machine it has been used on you cannot use the same serial key as you have used on another machine, even after you have uninstalled it on one of the previous computers.

Just to be on the safe side, you probably want to contact Kilgray and ask them what to do. They will probably have to set something up in their license server.
Good luck!

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
why dont you try with the "03" suffix? Nov 24, 2013

I am not sure it is necessary to deinstall, try with the "03" suffix. Anyway the best is to ask Kilgray's customer service as Tomas suggests.

Madeleine

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Simply install it... Nov 24, 2013

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:

I have a MemoQ Professional licence which I use on two laptops (with the extensions 01 and 02 at the end of the serial number). I am now going to buy a PC that is going to be my main computer. This means that before I can use MemoQ on that PC, I need to deactivate the licence on one of the two laptops, correct? If that’s the case, how exactly do I do that?

Simply install it and use the extension of the machine you intent to scrap.
If memoQ accepts it, it's OK.
If no, ask the support to reset the number.
They answer very quickly.

Generally, mQ checks the license validity by Internet in a regular basis.
If the license is unused, it simply quietly "expires" after 30 days (AFAIK) and you can freely reuse the same number.
The license number will be rejected (in an unpredictable way) if you use the same number "simultaneously" on both machines.
It's rather user friendly and dumb proof, assuming the fair use of the license.

The licenses like 03 will be always rejected if you have only 2 license slots.

PS
My info may be outdated but basically it worked like that in the past.
I'll check it in few hours, I must prepare a different machine for my CAT classes, I didn't use the old one during several weeks...

Cheers
GG

Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:07
Member (2007)
English to Russian
My experience Nov 24, 2013

I simply install MemoQ on new computer (even without deinstallation on the old one). It works OK with -01 suffix (but maybe after some days, I don't remember).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing MemoQ on a new computer: How do I deactivate the licence on the old computer?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search