Views on memoQ
Thread poster: Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:14
English to Russian
Nov 30, 2013

Usually we write about the tools we use to complain. I believe to be fair we should also say good things about them. I want to mention just two things which delighted me about handling terminology in MQ:
1. It has far the best terminology interface comparing with the other CAT tools I have used before. Not only allowing using more than one term base and on the fly entry of terms (these are standard features for most of the second generation CATs), but quite a bit more, like on the fly cha
... See more
Usually we write about the tools we use to complain. I believe to be fair we should also say good things about them. I want to mention just two things which delighted me about handling terminology in MQ:
1. It has far the best terminology interface comparing with the other CAT tools I have used before. Not only allowing using more than one term base and on the fly entry of terms (these are standard features for most of the second generation CATs), but quite a bit more, like on the fly changing the primary term base, thus diverting the new terms to a different term base. Why is this important? I use specialized term bases limited to a specific field of knowledge/business. For example, I have a term base on a client’s equipment and a separate term base on finance and business. A project usually has a specific term base dealing with the main theme/subject, but it often happens that during the translation you come across a part of the text dealing with a different and very specific subject full of terms not related to the primary term base. For example right now I am translating a newsletter of a heavy machinery manufacturer and I come across a section dealing with financing with term like “tax and depreciation write-offs”, “ loan structure” or “a balloon payment” which I want to keep in the term base on finance and not in the term base on machinery. Unlike most of the other tools, in MQ you can do it without leaving the translation pane to change the primary term base. If at the start of the project you ticked of 2 or more term bases as active for this project, then when translating you simply select the source and the target terms and select one of the active term bases from the drop-down menu in the “Edit Term Base Entry” window. You can select it each time you have found a candidate for one of your term bases, and since by default the previous selection remains valid, you needn’t bother about it too often. I like this feature as it allows me to fill in several specialized term bases each with its own terminology. The other tool which more or less allows it, SDL Studio, can do it, but the procedure is cumbersome and time consuming.
2. Editing of the term bases is also just wonderful. The operations require much fewer clicks that the competitor tools, and again, offers a bit more, e.g. you can reverse the languages without leaving the term base and edit, sorting on the target. This is useful to check for errors and for ensuring consistency.
The more I use it, the more I like it. It would be also interesting to hear critique. Probably not all colleagues are as enthusiastic as I am.
Collapse

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:14
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Enthusiasm shared Nov 30, 2013

I totally, totally back that statement "The more I use it, the more I love it!"
Like yourself, I love the simplicity of using and editing term bases, but on the QA side, an extremely simple function has actually made quite a big difference to me - the ability to find (and replace) across various documents.
In other CAT tools, I have to go into each individual document and start the search again. That's OK, when the project only contains a few files. On a large and complex project, h
... See more
I totally, totally back that statement "The more I use it, the more I love it!"
Like yourself, I love the simplicity of using and editing term bases, but on the QA side, an extremely simple function has actually made quite a big difference to me - the ability to find (and replace) across various documents.
In other CAT tools, I have to go into each individual document and start the search again. That's OK, when the project only contains a few files. On a large and complex project, however, it means I risk missing one. I can do a concordance search to check, if I missed it somewhere, but then I have to work out, which file it belongs to, then go into that file... time wasted.
MemoQ simply moves through the entire project, I see the context each time - smooth and straight-forward workflow.
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 05:14
Italian to German
+ ...
Yes, I agree Dec 1, 2013

Hi,
The termbase system in MemoQ is a very well designed one.

What I like most is that terms are merged automatically and it's very easy to manage duplicate entries if any.
You just have to look in the list and find entries called "Duplicate_xxx" where xxx is the duplicate term. I then just check which one has comments or definitions and delete the other(s). Also if duplicates are present, the result window will not fill with repetitions, but neatly lists the terms with
... See more
Hi,
The termbase system in MemoQ is a very well designed one.

What I like most is that terms are merged automatically and it's very easy to manage duplicate entries if any.
You just have to look in the list and find entries called "Duplicate_xxx" where xxx is the duplicate term. I then just check which one has comments or definitions and delete the other(s). Also if duplicates are present, the result window will not fill with repetitions, but neatly lists the terms with their synonyms. Very good.

Mike
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:14
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Also enthusiastic Dec 1, 2013

Alexey Ivanov wrote:

Probably not all colleagues are as enthusiastic as I am.

Well, I am. I purchased memoQ a few months ago - it's the first major CAT tool I purchased because I wanted to, not because my client demanded it, and the more I use it the more I like it.

I like the interoperability with other filetypes - especially SDL filetypes such as SDLXLIFF and TTX. I haven't had any trouble importing and exporting these other companies' filetypes and so far the finished projects have been usable by the client flawlessly - they don't even know that I didn't use the original tool to do their project.

I have just started using the "Muse" feature and am impressed. It seems to provide on-the-fly suggestions of phrases and idioms which I must have used at some point in the past in my translation memory, which is not only a great time saver but I feel it also improves the quality of my work.

Finally, it also seems to keep up with my typing. As fast as I can type and move on to the next segment it keeps up, even though I'm using TMs that are quite large.

The few problems I have had I have found Kilgray support to be quick and knowledgable.

I have no regrets so far in spending the money for it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Views on memoQ

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »