Find and replace 'Only whole words' not available
Thread poster: Kathleen Misson

Kathleen Misson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:48
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Dec 10, 2013

I want to find and replace a string of three words, but when I type the second word in the search box, the 'Only whole words' option changes to grey and cannot be selected. How can I find and replace a string of 'whole' words? Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
English to German
+ ...
Quotation marks Dec 10, 2013

I would try to put the whole string in quotation marks as you would normally do it when searching with a search engine.

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work Dec 10, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion, I just tried it. Unfortunately it searches for the quotation marks as part of the string. The only whole words option is still not available.

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
multi-words are not part of a word... Dec 11, 2013

Hi,

the box greys out because there's no need to check it at all: it will (should) find and replace anything you enter as natural text, if you want the spaces inclusive, then enter [space] + your 3 words.

The box is only to find/replace things like "string" and not "strings", "Darwin" and not "Darwinism" etc.

Mike

Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Further explanation Dec 11, 2013

The entire text contains multiple strings of

'Mary Jane shoe'
and
'Mary Jane shoes'

I only want to replace the first as the second is ok. If I do this however, I will end up with multiple instances of
'Mary Jane shoess'
from the second being replaced too.

I know i can find and replace shoess with shoes later but it would be useful to know if there is a way to use 'match only whole words' on strings because it is something i would use frequently.

[Edited at 2013-12-11 16:24 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
No... Dec 11, 2013

No, I don't think that the SR function in MemoQ is that elaborated. It would be easy (and I would highly welcome it) if the SR could accept RegEx commands which presently is not the case.

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find and replace 'Only whole words' not available

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search