Can anyone answer these 2 memoQ questions?
Thread poster: Pristine

Pristine
Local time: 11:21
English to German
Dec 10, 2013

I am brandnew to memoQ.

I figured some of it out and also have the memoQ QuickStartGuide 5 0 EN, however, I need help figuring out how to make memoQ showing me repetitions of my own translations.

What I mean is: I translated the line: Jane has a pretty bird... and this text appears later again and I want a full or fuzzy match. But I am getting no help in this regard from memoQ

I created a TM (or think at least that I created one). But I get no repetitions in memoQ.

Also, I figured how to add terms and their translations to the memoQ data base. But they don't show up when the same term comes up later in the text.

As of now, I have to say that Wordfast is much easier. You just create a TM and highlight the terms that go in the glossary and all is shown to you.

But my customer wants me to work in memoQ.

Can you please help me with these two problems?

Much obliged.

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 19:21
Italian to German
+ ...
Fuzzy match settings, Advanced Lookup settings Dec 11, 2013

Hi Pristine,

What you personally call "repetitions" is called Fuzzy Match or Concordance Strings by MemoQ.

Fuzzy matches:
A fuzzy match is displayed in red in the result window on the right, containing both the source and the target of a past translation, provided that the source in your memory is similar to your current sentence you want to translate. This similarity is expressed by a percentage. So, in order to display such a match, your Fuzzy Match settings must not be too high. To give you useful returns, I'd recommend you go into

Tools > Options > TM Settings (browse through the icons on the upper side).

Here, make a clone of the Default settings and change the clone's settings to your convenience. If you want lots of matches to be returned, I would set it to 40 for Minimum Match, and 75 for a Good Match.

Concordance strings:
Even if you don't get a fuzzy match, MemoQ can display which expressions from your current sentence are already in your memory. This is displayed in orange in the result window. Here again, if you want more returns, you will have to fine-tune the settings. Also, MemoQ can not know the translations of these expressions, the program only knows that they have already been translated.
To retrieve the translated text, double-click on the orange expressions.
To fine-tune the settings, go to

Tools > Options > Advanced Lookup Settings.

Here, for lots of returns, I would set the numbers from up to down as 1,2,10,6.

I hope this will help you getting started.
Greets,
Mike

P.S. You will find the newest Quickstart Guides, videos, articles here: http://kilgray.com/resource-center

[Edited at 2013-12-11 00:46 GMT]

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:21
Member (2008)
French to English
memoQ vs. Wordfast Dec 11, 2013

Pristine wrote:

As of now, I have to say that Wordfast is much easier. You just create a TM and highlight the terms that go in the glossary and all is shown to you.

Once you get used to it you will find memoQ is as easy to use as Wordfast - I use both. The same applies to adding a term to the memoQ termbase - highlight source and target and hit Ctrl+Q and it's done.

Once you start using more advanced features such as Muses and Live Corpora I think you'll find it's even more useful.

It did take me awhile to get used to the shortcuts.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:21
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Dec 11, 2013

Propagation forward works automatically for all segments with empty target.

Pristine
Local time: 11:21
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 11, 2013

Mike, John, and Sergei, thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone answer these 2 memoQ questions?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search