Non-translatable styles in memoQ
Thread poster: John Fossey

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:20
Member (2008)
French to English
Dec 30, 2013

This question may have been answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

Is there a way to define a non-translatable style in memoQ? For example, a client has given me a document in which only the highlighted text is to be translated, representing about half of the 30 page document.

In Wordfast Classic I would mark all the non-highlighted text with a strikethrough, then instruct WFC to not translate that text.

How can I do something similar in memoQ?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hiding it? Dec 30, 2013

Personally I would hide the text you don't want to see in memoQ. That does the job nicely, as long as you don't have other hidden things in the documents you don't need unhidden when you unhide the non-translatable text after translation.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:20
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion Dec 30, 2013

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Personally I would hide the text you don't want to see in memoQ. That does the job nicely, as long as you don't have other hidden things in the documents you don't need unhidden when you unhide the non-translatable text after translation.


Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like it should work. It gives me the idea that I could use a double format - such as strikethrough+hide - which would differentiate the non-translatable hidden text from any other hidden text.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:20
Finnish to French
Yes, but only with DOCX Dec 30, 2013

John Fossey wrote:
Is there a way to define a non-translatable style in memoQ?

If the original file is a DOCX, you can add any number of untranslatable styles in Word, and define them as such in memoQ (use Import with options, select Change filter and configuration and look for Excluded styles). You can store these excluded styles for later use (so you don't have to add them each time).
John Fossey wrote:
For example, a client has given me a document in which only the highlighted text is to be translated, representing about half of the 30 page document.

Then define a untranslatable style and apply it to the non-highlighted text. Depending on the type of document, it may be easier to hide non-highlighted texts (you'll then have to remember to unhide them after exporting).
John Fossey wrote:
In Wordfast Classic I would mark all the non-highlighted text with a strikethrough, then instruct WFC to not translate that text.
How can I do something similar in memoQ?

Excluded styles work quite well for the kind of documents I typically translate, just like marching red ants (my preferred untranslatable attribute) in Wordfast.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-translatable styles in memoQ

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search