Slow Dragon NaurallySpeaking 12.5 with MemoQ
Thread poster: James McVay

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2014

I just downloaded the demo version of MemoQ because I've read that the program is very compatible with DNS, but I'm finding that DNS is significantly slower to respond when MemoQ is running -- even when dictating into other applications. I have been watching the system's performance in Task Manager (Windows 8.1) and don't see anything surprising: CPU usage, memory and disk all look normal.

Anybody have an idea what the issue might be and what I need to do to speed things up?

[Edited at 2014-01-04 01:43 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Segaert  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 01:17
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
In MemoQ... Jan 4, 2014

Hi James,

I have not noticed DNS getting slow in other applications when MemoQ is running, so I can't help with that.

DNS does occasionally slow down in MemoQ, something you can avoid by turning off predictive typing and autopick in MemoQ (under the "Translation" menu).

I'm not sure what causes the problem, but I probably can't expect the very best performance on my system (32-bit Win7 with 4GB RAM - I do have an ssd though).

Hope this helps!

James McVay  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:17
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's better today... Jan 4, 2014

Thanks, Steven. I did as you suggested, and DNS is working normally now. Actually, it was responding a little quicker today, just not with the blinding speed I've become used to.

I had already rebooted the computer, which IT guys always say is the first thing to try -- and is never the first thing I think of. That seemed to help some. There's even a TV commercial in the US where some guy sitting in an office cubical grabs an IT guy walking by to ask a question about the product the commercial is touting. Before he can say a word, the IT guy asks him if he's tried rebooting...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slow Dragon NaurallySpeaking 12.5 with MemoQ

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search