Thread poster: msoutopico

msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 04:21
English to Galician
+ ...
Jan 5, 2014

Hi there,

I use memoQ 6.2 but I would like to know whether comment handling is expanded in higher versions.

Imagine an Excel with several columns:
A. source (input)
B. translation (output)
C. translation note (input)
D. feedback from translator (output)

I can import the range of cells in col. B as the translatable text and I think I can import the translation notes in col. C, so that the translator can see those instructions in memoQ with no need to check the Excel.

Then, I can enter segment-related comments in memoQ as I translate with Ctrl+M. The question is: is there any way I can add those comments to the cells in col. D during export in the most recent version?

If not, does anyone have a workaround for something like that? Or, does anyone know whether this is possible in any other tool?

Thanks a lot in advance for any opinions.

Cheers, Manuel

[Edited at 2014-01-05 14:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

VIP9N
Local time: 06:21
Russian to English
+ ...
Power Utility Pack Jan 7, 2014

Hi Manuel,

I'm not sure that I got right your explanation, but about a month ago I did a trnslation from French into Russian. There were 6 or 8 sheets with many rows each. The worst thing was that many cells had quite large comments, which the client required to be translated too.

First, I tried to translate them in their panes, but it was too hard for a "lazy" translator

Well, I searched the Web and found those PUP for Excel (http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/products). I installed them in my 2013 Excel and upon a single pushing on the button got an Excel list with each and every comment from the translated file, arranged as simple cells.

Having translated it as usual file in Memo, I did the export and, then, copy-pasted the contents back into Comment Panes of cells. Unfortunately, I did not find how to automate the process of copying them back.

It would be great if this helps you.

Kind regards,

Vic

msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 04:21
English to Galician
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export memoQ comments to another column Jan 8, 2014

Hi Vic,

Thank you very much for your answer, very much appreciated.

In my case I don't need to translate the comments from the source spreadsheet. Instead, what I need is to include the comments that I can add in memoQ in the exported file.

I know I can export a bilingual table in RTF that includes those comments, but I would like to do it in the same format of my source file (Excel).

It probably can't be done, but copying from the bilngual RTF and pasting in the Excel column is better than nothing.

In any case I'll have a look at the PUPs, they might be useful nonetheless. Thanks a lot for the tip!

Cheers, Manuel

VIELLES Ophélie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:21
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Did you find anything? Feb 4, 2014

Hi Michel,

I was looking for the exact same information: exporting comments back in an Excel file with MemoQ.

Did you find any straightforward solution (better than exporting in RTF and pasting into the Excel file back again?). If so, your help would be appreciated, as I work a lot with Excel files.

If you didn't find anything yet, it could be interesting to ask on the MemoQ community group directly...

Best regards,
Ophélie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling comments when exporting Excel files

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search