Are line breaks in tags spaces or non-spaces?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 22, 2014

Hello everyone

When I perform a bilingual export in MemoQ, I notice that some of the tags have line breaks in them:

The CAT tool I'm using to translate/edit these files can't handle line breaks inside segments, so I have to replace the line break with something. Should I replace it with nothing, or with a space? I know that it depends on the variant of XML whether a line break is interpreted as a space or as no space, hence my question.

In other words should I change this:

<mq:ch val="
"/>

into this:

<mq:ch val=" "/>

or into this:

<mq:ch val=""/>

Thanks!

Samuel

[Edited at 2014-01-22 10:24 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
It appears that the CRLF is the attribute value Jan 22, 2014

which is odd but not impossible. I think you should use an escape sequence here, like &crlf; ¶ (just guessing), or any escape sequence that your CAT tool accepts, but bear in mind that it probably should be converted back to the CRLF when feeding the file back to MemoQ.

PB

Samuel Murray wrote:

Hello everyone

When I perform a bilingual export in MemoQ, I notice that some of the tags have line breaks in them:

(...)

The CAT tool I'm using to translate/edit these files can't handle line breaks inside segments, so I have to replace the line break with something. Should I replace it with nothing, or with a space? I know that it depends on the variant of XML whether a line break is interpreted as a space or as no space, hence my question.

In other words should I change this:

into this:

or into this:

Thanks!

Samuel

[Edited at 2014-01-22 10:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-22 10:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-01-22 10:53 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CRLF Jan 22, 2014

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
It appears that the CRLF is the attribute value ... which is odd but not impossible. I think you should use an escape sequence here ... but bear in mind that it probably should be converted back to the CRLF when feeding the file back to MemoQ.

It did not occur to me that CRLF might actually be the attribute value. But that does make sense, because XML line wrappers typically do not put a break in the middle of an attribute.

I was hoping for a solution that would not require me to reverse the solution before delivering the file to the client. Solutions that need to be reversed tend to become forgotten, which leads to clients asking why the file doesn't work.

If the attribute value is truly CRLF, then I wonder if I could replace the CRLF with &#13;&#10;. Worth a try... later.

[Edited at 2014-01-22 11:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are line breaks in tags spaces or non-spaces?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search