Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 07:10
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 31, 2014

I have been asked by a client to download MemoQ to work on a project. My first impression of it is really good.

I might decide to purchase it if I like working with it.

But some of my main clients use SDL Trados Studio packages and Wordfast Pro tmxl files. I am okay with SDL Studio, but really don't like Wordfast Pro. It would be great to have one Software that can handle all filetypes, but I don't want to end up with three different softwares and using all three - I pr
... See more
I have been asked by a client to download MemoQ to work on a project. My first impression of it is really good.

I might decide to purchase it if I like working with it.

But some of my main clients use SDL Trados Studio packages and Wordfast Pro tmxl files. I am okay with SDL Studio, but really don't like Wordfast Pro. It would be great to have one Software that can handle all filetypes, but I don't want to end up with three different softwares and using all three - I prefer getting to know one tool really well to achieve optimal results. The current situation, where I use Trados Studio, Wordfast Pro and a series of online translation systems is bad enough, as it is, and I want to weigh the decision of purchasing yet another tool very carefully.

What are your experiences with compatibility? If you own MemoQ plus the software of a proprietary file, which software do you tend to use?

What about SDL packages with TMs? Are they handled without problems?

I am looking forward to getting to know your experiences.

Best regards,
Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro
Collapse

Václav Pinkava
Václav Pinkava  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:10
Czech to English
+ ...
MemoQ 2013 R2 user Jan 31, 2014

I use the above and when I get sent Trados files it seems to work no problem. Admittedly, to load SDL TMs requires an intermediate conversion, I use SDLTM_Converter, but there are several out there and videos on youtube, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXZ5IwM8O2I

Carl Carter
Carl Carter
Germany
Local time: 07:10
German to English
+ ...
memoQ 2013 can handle Studio + Wordfast Jan 31, 2014

Hi Anna,

The current version of memoQ, memoQ 2013 R2, can handle both of the formats you mentioned. It comes with a filter specially for importing Wordfast Pro's TXML files easily and you can also import whole Studio packages using another filter. All you do is click on "Import file" and then select the appropriate filter in the subsequent dialogue window.

For more information, you can refer to memoQ's documentation or w
... See more
Hi Anna,

The current version of memoQ, memoQ 2013 R2, can handle both of the formats you mentioned. It comes with a filter specially for importing Wordfast Pro's TXML files easily and you can also import whole Studio packages using another filter. All you do is click on "Import file" and then select the appropriate filter in the subsequent dialogue window.

For more information, you can refer to memoQ's documentation or watch a video tutorial such as this one: http://kilgray.com/webinars/how-process-sdl-studio-and-star-transit-packages-well-wordfast-files-memoq-english-010607

Try importing some files yourself and see how it goes.

Regards,

Carl
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility with SDL and Wordfast

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »