Client with Studio says return package files are "empty"
Thread poster: Alice Klingener

Alice Klingener  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:41
Swedish to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2014

I bought MemoQ because it is advertised as being compatible with SDL Studio. I have a client who sends me project packages created in Studio 11, and I am able to import and translate them. However he says that the two files in the return package are "empty," and this isn't the first time.

I had MemoQ support "fix" the project package, and he can't import it at all.

I've run QA, and confirmed that the target language is correct. Is there some setting (this includes Studio settings) that he or I are missing?

I am running MemoQ 2013 version 6.8.3.

Alice Klingener  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:41
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More about language settings Feb 5, 2014

I can't help wondering if this problem is related to the one that Anette just reported (http://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/263818-client_can_see_empty_target_segments_in_my_100_file.html).

I am an American translating from Swedish to the UK flavor of English. When I imported the package, the language settings *seemed* to be correct. I've tried exporting to various formats, and the Word single-file exports end with _eng_GB.

I don't know how else to verify language settings. How else do you check the language settings of the project and individual files?

At some point in the past Kilgray thought this might have to do with a conflict with the Windows settings on my American computer and I even told it that it was British, but this doesn't seem to have helped.

Carl Carter
Germany
Local time: 23:41
German to English
Ask for help in Yahoo's memoQ group Feb 5, 2014

Morning Alice,

I'm afraid I can't help you on this one because I don't get Studio files to translate. Kilgray's Support engineers are the first people to turn to, but you can also try asking other memoQ users in Yahoo's memoQ group - there are definitely lots of people there who work with Studio files. (You have to sign up to join it, but it's free.)

The only thing I can think of is that the languages you set at the very beginning when you first created your memoQ project don't match those in the Studio package. As you say, memoQ is now meant to be highly compatible with Studio, so there shouldn't be any major issues with such files (or people wouldn't use memoQ for those kinds of jobs). I reckon the mailing list will be your best bet in this case.

Good luck.

Carl

Barbara Hubert
Germany
Local time: 23:41
French to German
+ ...
Don't complete the Studio packages once you're finished Feb 5, 2014

Hello Alice,

I don't know if this is of any help for you working with MemoQ which I don't know at all, but: I had the same problem when I finished the translations and sent the Studio packages back. The solution I finally found with my personal Trados-Support: not using the complete-function for the packages in Studio (I have a German screen, so I don't know the exact word for this function in English) but to only save the files in the target directory, then create the return package and load the Xliff-files or whatever into the package.

Maybe there's a function like that in MemoQ? Really hope it helps.

Barbara

VIP9N
Local time: 00:41
Russian to English
+ ...
Use SDLXLIFF files, not the entire package. Feb 12, 2014

Alice Klingener wrote:
...I have a client who sends me project packages created in Studio 11, and I am able to import and translate them. However he says that the two files in the return package are "empty," and this isn't the first time...

Hi Alice,
I have been translating and translate files from Studio packages (mostly from 9-th version) for a couple of years sent to me by one large Moscow technical translation agency. Of course, Trados Studio is their primary tool.

Here is my procedure:
1. I open received package in Studio, which creates a project on my PC.
2. I go to the project folder and find the translated-language folder. For example, if it is EN-RU, the name of it would sound like ru-ru.
3. From there, I take all SDLXLIFFs to be translated and put them in my MemoQ operating folders. I always do an archived backup copy of these files in this folder (but never needed them, by the way).
4. Import the files into Memo operating folder and translate them as usual.
5. Export the result back into SDLXLIFFs and put them back into the original Srudio folder.
6. Open Studio project and, one by one, open translated files (select all segments) and change their status to translated.
7. Do a return package, or, sometimes and if needed by client, make a try export to be sure all translated files are in good order.

Well, I never had "empty" segments. All challenges that I met were caused by Studio exclusively, not by MemoQ, and related to inappropriate project creation by agency/client.

Just today I did 24 small files FR-RU and if not MemoQ – I would not have been able to do them at all. Consider this: each file was half done be pretranslation in Studio with some segments locked (not paid by the client). In Memo I just created the view of all 24 files, sorted them by status, locked those 100 and 101%, and created another view with no-locked. I translated the rest of them using intensively “sort by” and select Ctrl+Shift+F. In Studio, which adopted my result, I knew that I even could not select all file by file to change status at once, as halves of segments in those files were locked. So, I sent the result as is saying “certainly I can change the status in your lovely Studio guys, but I would complete the job by the end of the day, not now”icon_smile.gif

Even if you enter Trados Studio branch in this forum you will see topics kinda “What do you like the most in Studio 2014”, and even if you read it, you will not see that Studio 2014 can now sort segments or create views, but “The interface became clearer” and “Look and feel became better”icon_smile.gif Is it what a translator needs?

I love MemoQ and I deeply respect the smartest Hungarian people, who left behind dying DejaVu and embalmed Trados Studio, and had created such a truly wonderful piece of art like MemoQ. God bless them and their success.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client with Studio says return package files are "empty"

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search