Empty target segments when importing Studio package to proofread
Thread poster: Anette Herbert

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 18, 2014

Empty target segments seem to be my curse at the moment!

I am trying to import my first Studio package to MemoQ for a proof-reading. When I open it the target segments are empty? I have MemoQ 2013 R2.

I can't find any information about this anywhere. Has this happened to you? Is there another process you need to carry out for sdlppx files that are to be proofread? Client checked the files and they should be ok in Studio, which I do not have...

I am desperate as the huge job needs to be proofread by tomorrow and I have not been able to start it yet so any advice would be gratefully received!

Might have taken on to much here...

Anette

Carl Carter
Germany
Local time: 23:38
German to English
Ask the customer for a TMX file Feb 19, 2014

Morning Anette,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with files again. Since you haven't been able to find out what's causing the issue, perhaps you should just ask your customer for a different version of the file - one that memoQ can handle easily, like TMX. Even if it is embarrassing...

XLIFF ought to work, too, but I think you'd need to adapt the name of the file (extension) first as the format that Studio generates isn't quite the same as memoQ's. Kevin Lossner has written a blog post on how to do this (e.g. http://www.translationtribulations.com/2013/08/translating-sdl-trados-studio-sdlxliff.html); other posts of his may also help you.

If all else fails, you could ask someone in Yahoo's memoQ group if they'd take a look at your current files and try and find out what's wrong. That service would probably cost you some money, though. Still, you can always ask. I'd recommend you to post your call for help there anyway as there are a lot more users there who will read it and respond.

Another option would be for you to request a trial licence for Studio 2014 from SDL and then download and install that program as soon as SDL sends you a link. You could then import the file into Studio and do the editing in that environment. The only problem with that is that it can take SDL a while to process the request (it took them days in my case) and you'd need a bit of time to familiarise yourself with Studio.

I think if I were you, I'd wait a little longer to see what responses you get from other users and then get in touch with the customer, either to explain the situation and ask for a TMX file or to cancel the job before it's too late.

Regards,

Carl

[Edited at 2014-02-19 09:33 GMT]

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No preparation of files Feb 19, 2014

After many hours spent I finally got confirmed that the files were not pre-translated in Studio. Job was cancelled. Agony over. Life back.icon_smile.gif

Anette

Carl Carter
Germany
German to English
Pre-translation and segmentation in Studio seem vital Feb 19, 2014

Hi Anette,

Phew!

Well, if there are any problems like that next time, at least you'll have a good idea why now. But it's a shame memoQ doesn't give you a warning when that happens - perhaps you'd like to suggest that to Kilgray as an enhancement.

I've just checked the help documentation for the latest version of memoQ, R2, which is available online (http://kilgray.com/memoq/2013R2/help-en/index.html?), and it says that R2 can actually import unsegmented Studio files, unlike its predecessors. (I believe Studio files get segmented when they get pre-translated.) Here's a note in the section entitled "Import SDL Studio package" (which you ought to read):

----

"Note: The SDL Studio package can also be imported if the SDLXLIFF file was not properly pre-segmented in SDL Studio. memoQ can import unsegmented SDLXLIFF files. But if you cannot import unsegmented SDLXLIFF files, you may need to prepare your SDLXLIFF files in SDL Studio: import your file into a SDL Studio project, it is converted into SDLXLIFF, then right-click the file in the source language view, and click Prepare."

---

If I were you, I'd either ask the customer to always "pre-translate" Studio files from now on, or I'd buy Studio myself, I reckon. (Which would mean you could do it yourself AND check your output in Studio before sending it off, so you'd then be sure everything was OK.)

So much for compatability and interoperability, which Kilgray is always on about. Nice ideas in theory, but in practice, they still seem a long way off.icon_frown.gif

Regards,

Carl

P.S. You might like to take a look at Kevin Lossner's post on pre-segmentation, which explains a few things most of us are not aware of: http://www.translationtribulations.com/2011/12/presegmented-classic-trados-files.html

[Edited at 2014-02-19 15:44 GMT]

István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
send some examples to support Feb 20, 2014

Anette,

I guess the best you can do is share those files with us at our support address. We are happy to examine them and make fixes if needed.

István

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Files not pre-translated Feb 20, 2014

István Lengyel wrote:

I guess the best you can do is share those files with us at our support address. We are happy to examine them and make fixes if needed.

Thank you István,

I did send a file over to the friendly support man, as he is already working on another issue, and his explanation was that they had not been pre-translated. I have just download the latest version of MemoQ and the target segments are still empty, so I guess it doesnt work yet..

Anette

English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have learnt my lesson Feb 20, 2014

Carl Carter wrote:

XLIFF ought to work, too, but I think you'd need to adapt the name of the file (extension) first as the format that Studio generates isn't quite the same as memoQ's. Kevin Lossner has written a blog post on how to do this (e.g. http://www.translationtribulations.com/2013/08/translating-sdl-trados-studio-sdlxliff.html); other posts of his may also help you.

Carl

[Edited at 2014-02-19 09:33 GMT]

Thank you very much Carl for taking time with this problem of mine. The job was cancelled so the only problem was me losing a day's work but I learned the lesson to make sure files have been pre-translated. And I enjoy MemoQ, the database layout with filters and sorting options suits me down to a tee, really. And I trust that Kilgray will work this one out, because why should feel that you need to have Studio as well, for then to translate in MemoQ. I know many translators do this, but I personally made this sideways move because I just did not want to be part of SDL anymore, and perceive Kilgray to be a much more ethical company, and as long as they stay like that, I will stay with them.
I still have Trados 2007, but probably won't use it, unless there is a job with a lot of numbers in it, as that is still a bit of a problem in MQ.

Have a good weekend!

Anette

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It makes sense to have Studio Feb 20, 2014

Anette Herbert wrote:
And I trust that Kilgray will work this one out, because why should feel that you need to have Studio as well, for then to translate in MemoQ. I know many translators do this, but I personally made this sideways move because I just did not want to be part of SDL anymore, and perceive Kilgray to be a much more ethical company, and as long as they stay like that, I will stay with them.

Indeed I think that a reasonable move for you should be to have a license of Studio and know its basic use, even if you never translate in Studio. By having a license of Studio at hand, you will yourself be able to avoid the kind of stressful situations you have experienced lately, even if you translate everything in memoQ as I do.

Ever since I bought a license of Studio I haven't translated a single word with it, but it helps me interface more comfortably with my Studio-based customers. Nothing personal, just business!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Empty target segments when importing Studio package to proofread

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search