How to export a bilingual file for Trados?
Thread poster: Thomas Johansson

Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:37
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 27, 2014

I've done a project and the client now requests a bilingual file. They have mentioned TMX format as ideal and seem to want something compatible with Trados.

In memoQ's "Export bilingual" dialog, there is an option labelled "TRADOS-compatible bilingual DOC", but the resulting file if choosing that option, is a simple monolongual file, nothing else.

Any ideas of how to resolve this?
Is memoQ able to generate a bilingual TMX file?

My client cannot use a bilingual RTF (they say) and it seems they don't use memoQ.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:37
English to German
+ ...
:-) Feb 27, 2014

Hi Thomas,

This will get you the TMX file if your customer really insists on it.
Otherwise the Trados compatible blingual only seems to be monolingual because depending on your word settings the bilingual part is just "hidden" but it is there so if your customer uses Trados they should be able to work with it.

For the TMX follow this path: http://screencast.com/t/JwVliD39V

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Marc

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Feb 27, 2014

Thank you, Marc, you're right:the English version is just hidden in the Trados bilingual. My client just now explained to me how to display it: by clicking the paragraph icon in the Start > Paragraph tab.

Best,

Thomas

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:37
French to English
Which version of Word are you using here? Does this solution apply to Word 2010 & above? Mar 5, 2014

Solved Feb 27

Thank you, Marc, you're right:the English version is just hidden in the Trados bilingual. My client just now explained to me how to display it: by clicking the paragraph icon in the Start > Paragraph tab.

Best,

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

With regards to your comment above about the paragraph icon in Word, I'm using Word 2013 and I can't find this, I have a "Paragraph" tab under the "Home" tab but can't see the Paragraph icon, and when I click on "Paragraph" a table for adjusting tabulations and spacing comes up......

Peru
Member (2005)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't know about Word 2013 Mar 6, 2014

Jenny Duthie wrote:

Solved Feb 27

Best,

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

With regards to your comment above about the paragraph icon in Word, I'm using Word 2013 and I can't find this, I have a "Paragraph" tab under the "Home" tab but can't see the Paragraph icon, and when I click on "Paragraph" a table for adjusting tabulations and spacing comes up......

Sorry, Jenny, I wouldn't know how to solve that - I work with Word 2007.

Best,

Thomas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to export a bilingual file for Trados?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search