Thread poster: ConnyG

ConnyG
Germany
Local time: 22:12
English to German
+ ...
Mar 4, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting out as a translator and struggling with some technical issues in my CAT tools. I received some .inx InDesign files from my client and am trying to create a project in memoQ, but when I add the files, I get an error message that the file cannot be imported into memoQ because there is an invalid character.

(TYPE:
System.Xml.XmlException / MESSAGE: '', hexidezimaler Wert 0x06, ist ein ungültiges Zeichen. Zeile 1, Position 1.) SOURCE: System.Xml)

I checked, and I have the .inx filter activated. So, do you think something is wrong with the files or do I need to change any settings in the CAT tool?

PS: I also tried to process the files in Trados Studio, but it also gave me an error message saying that the file type cannot be recognized.

I'd appreciate any help very much.

Best,

Conny

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Importing an XML file? Mar 5, 2014

To me problem lies in that you are perhaps importing an XML file with an INX filter (that is what is apparent from the error message). The first character in an XML file, which are usually in Unicode encoding, is usually a special character, and memoQ seems to be finding a problem with that.

If the file has the XML extension, try importing it with the XML filter. The INX filter is for InDesign files.

[Edited at 2014-03-05 06:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.inx files - cannot import the file in memoQ 4.5

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search