How long does it take for MemoQ "support and upgrades" packages to be activated?
Thread poster: Alistair Ian Spearing Ortiz

Alistair Ian Spearing Ortiz  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 11, 2014

Hello, everyone.

This morning I purchased three years' worth of MemoQ "support and upgrades" packages to get all the updates since 2011. I got confirmation of the transaction, an invoice, info on how to access Kilgray support... but MemoQ is unable to find any update or upgrade whatsoever, even when I expressly instruct it to search for updates.

Is this delay normal, or has something gone wrong somewhere? I know 12 hours is not a lot, but in this era of instant payment, instant download, instant access to software it does seem a bit strange that I still haven't been able to upgrade my MemoQ.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
English to German
+ ...
:-) Mar 12, 2014

Hi Alistair,

As far as I know all major version upgrades of MemoQ require you to install an update manually. After installation you should see all previous resources which you accumulated in your old MemoQ system. The existing projects will need to undergo a conversion as far as I remember if you decide to open them again.
Did you try to release your license and have it re-confirmed by Kilgray's license servers again yet? That might also help/activate any update but I am not sure. Last major update I remember was a new installation OVER the existing one (Don't deinstall if you haven't backed up all TMs and TBs beforehand!)

I hope this helps.

Steven Segaert  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 00:48
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Major versions versus updates Mar 12, 2014

There is a difference between major versions and updates to a version.

Depending on what version you use, you probably already have the most updated version of your major version, so the software won't find any new updates. You didn't mention what version you are on, so I can only guess.

To use the newest version, and if you are out of a subscription (which includes free upgrades and major versions), you can do two things:

1) Buy the newest version (which gives you a year of support and upgrades).

2) Buy "support and upgrades", as you did, to be entitled to the same thing.

You should now be able to download and install the latest version of the software. The software can look for the license key on the server automatically. Otherwise, just copy-paste the code from your current version. You don't need to uninstall it or return the license.

I would suggest you back everything up first (http://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00252/0/Keeping-your-memoQ-projects-and-resources-after-reinstalling-your-system.html), but I wouldn't bother using the "backup project" route. You can't use it to restore between versions anyway.

Also, please read this: http://kilgray.com/files/user-guide/memoQ_ClientUpgradeGuide_2013_2013R2_EN.pdf

Hope this helps!

Alistair Ian Spearing Ortiz  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Activated Mar 15, 2014

Thanks for your advice. After submitting a support ticket for an unrelated reason, a Kilgray representative told me I could download the updates. I don't know whether she was just informing me or she had had to activate my account somewhere.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long does it take for MemoQ "support and upgrades" packages to be activated?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search