Is it possible to convert a MemoqXLZ file to .ttx format
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:58
French to English
Apr 2, 2014

Hello,

A client sent me a small .ttx file to translate, he also sent the corresponding Word file (the source text) BUT he wants the translation returned in .ttx format. I no longer have Trados 2007, however I regularly translate .ttx files in MemoQ (version 2013 R2) with no problems. BUT on this occasion although I succeeded in importing the .ttx file into MemoQ there were no segments showing, ie no source or target text in the file imported into MemoQ. So I translated the Word doc in MemoQ & have saved the translated file as a biliingual MemoqXLZ file, will it be possible for me to convert this file to .ttx format, as he does not use MemoQ? Or will I have to send him a bilingual Trados-compatible document OR a 2-column bilingual rtf (MemoQ offers these 2 options) and ask him to convert this bilingual document to .ttx format? If so, will this be possible with Trados 2007? I would think the latter is possible but I'm not sure if someone who does not have MemoQ will be able to convert a Memoqxlz bilingual file to a .ttx file?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think so Apr 2, 2014

I don't think memoQ offers such an option.

As far as I can see, your best bet is to have the TTX presegmented and re-process that TTX in memoQ with the memory you already have. If I can be of any assistance to that, I will be glad to help. Just email me via my profile.

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Segmented? Apr 2, 2014

Have a look at this file in a text editor - notepad will do if it is small, and figure out if it is segmented.

You could try Swordfish (www.maxprograms.com) this time, It runs a fully functional trial for a month. If the file is short you don't need to set up any TMs. Even if the ttx file is not segmented, Swordfish will make its own segmentation, perhaps not the same as TagEditor, but it is better than not delivering a TTX file at all.

HTH

Piotr

[Edited at 2014-04-02 16:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-04-02 16:57 GMT]

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tomas I found a suggestion in another Proz forum please see topic body, Apr 2, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I don't think memoQ offers such an option.

As far as I can see, your best bet is to have the TTX presegmented and re-process that TTX in memoQ with the memory you already have. If I can be of any assistance to that, I will be glad to help. Just email me via my profile.

Thanks Tomas, I found this suggestion below in another Proz forum, however I'm wondering if it could also be applied to a bilingual .rtf file produced by MemoQ? Or if it only works with monolingual rtf files?
On reflection, I may need your help re presegmenting, thanks very much!!

Saving .doc or rtf files as ttx in TagEditor
>>Open Tag Editor

>>Open .doc or .rtf file

>>In menu "File" choose "Save bilingual file".

>>Enter the file name and choose "Save".

The file is saved as ttx file then and can be translated in TagEditor. Although the file is monolingual before translation, ttx is a file format to save the text as bilingual document during translation.

Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
French to English
TM export Apr 2, 2014

I think the best solution is what Tomas is suggesting, namely for the customer to send you a presegmented version of the ttx.

Another solution, albeit less elegant, is to send the customer the translated Word file along with an export of the TM for that particular translation, so that s/he can then import the segments into his or her own TM.

Simon

Leo Ning
China
Local time: 06:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Pre-translated May 10, 2014

Simon Mountifield wrote:

I think the best solution is what Tomas is suggesting, namely for the customer to send you a presegmented version of the ttx.

Another solution, albeit less elegant, is to send the customer the translated Word file along with an export of the TM for that particular translation, so that s/he can then import the segments into his or her own TM.

Simon

I have the same idea as Simon.

1. Ask the customer to send you a Pre-Translated version (to be completed in the Workbench - Tool - Translate)

2. Albeit less elegant, send the bilingual Trados-compatible document (enough), the customer is certainly able to proofread it or clean it;
Or, just send an entire new TMX for the particular translation (enough), the customer could process.

I also did a test to import the Trados-compatible document (unclean version) to TagEditor but failed. Because it's Bilingual in Word.

If I could give any help, do not hesitate to email me via my profile.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to convert a MemoqXLZ file to .ttx format

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search