repeated general errors after freeze/restart
Thread poster: Eric Zink

Eric Zink  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:09
Member (2012)
German to English
Aug 5, 2014

I was trying to save my project when memoQ froze up, forcing me to shut off the computer. When I rebooted and restarted, the program began giving me a "general error" after every operation I try to perform. It generally does what I want it to do (confirm segment, save terms to term base, synchronize remote project, etc.), but it returns a "general error" each time which I have to click out of. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling memoQ, but the problem persists.

Any idea what I can do to fix this? I've tried to submit a support request, but I cannot get my issue past Kilgray's Captcha (any trick to doing that? I'm surprised Kilgray gets any support requests).

Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
can't minimize Aug 5, 2014

To make things really fun, I can't reaccess the program after I minimize it. I have to use Task Manager to end it and restart.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Corrupted project registry file? Aug 5, 2014

I wonder whether your project registry could be corrupted, as it happened to me as a consequence of a power outage about a year ago.

Look for a file called "ProjectRegistry.dat" in the folder where memoQ stores its application data. In my Windows 7-based machine, the location is (replace hyphens with slashes) C:-users-(my user name)-AppData-Roaming-MemoQ.

ProjectRegistry.dat is a registry of your existing projects in memoQ. Try renaming it to something else (do not delete it, so that you do not lose it if this does not solve the problem). Run memoQ. When memoQ does not find the file, it creates a new one. I think that, if you then cannot see any projects in your list of projects, they will be added when you open them from the location where you store your memoQ projects.

I hope this helps!

[Edited at 2014-08-05 13:37 GMT]

Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Can't find registry Aug 5, 2014

That sounds like what happened, since none of my projects are listed in my registry any more. Problem is, I can't find the file you mentioned. I found Roaming, but there's no memoQ in it. Is it an invisible file?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Location depends on OS version Aug 5, 2014

Eric Zink wrote:
That sounds like what happened, since none of my projects are listed in my registry any more. Problem is, I can't find the file you mentioned. I found Roaming, but there's no memoQ in it. Is it an invisible file?

No, it is not a hidden file as far as I am aware. I think the location of the application data depends on the operating system. What is your operating system?

Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fellow Windows 7 user Aug 5, 2014

I also use Windows 7.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What version of memoQ? Aug 5, 2014

Hm... I see. Maybe you use a different version of memoQ and they place the registry in some other form. I am using 6.5 right now, with plans to move to 2014 (7.0) soon.

Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
6.5.22 Aug 5, 2014

I am using 6.5.22.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Then the file must exist somewhere Aug 5, 2014

Eric Zink wrote:
I am using 6.5.22.

Have you tried to find the file in the whole of your hard disk using Windows' Explorer or some other tool?

Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
hidden files Aug 5, 2014

The AppData file was in fact hidden. You delete the file, restart the program, and manually reopen your projects so that they appear on your registry again.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see! Aug 5, 2014

Eric Zink wrote:
The AppData file was in fact hidden. You delete the file, restart the program, and manually reopen your projects so that they appear on your registry again.

Oh my. I must have unhidden it back then when I had the problem. I am glad to hear the solution is working!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

repeated general errors after freeze/restart

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search