How do I filter for specific words (in MemoQ 2013 R2)?
Thread poster: Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:42
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 5, 2014

Hi everybody,

I would like to display only segments that contain a specific word (for example, the word "company"). Can you tell me if such a filter function exists in MemoQ 2013 R2 and where I can find it?

Cheers,

Olaf

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:42
Italian to English
+ ...
very simple Aug 5, 2014

Hello Olaf
in the translation window there are two main columns, with a little search box at the top of each one. Write your search string in there and press Enter.
I'm sure you will find memoQ has far more powerful functions than that!
I wish you well with your explorations! It is by far the best CAT decision I ever made to switch to memoQ

Abdallah Ali
Abdallah Ali  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
English to Arabic
+ ...

Source/target box Aug 5, 2014

Hi Olaf,

I do that by typing the required word, "company" in this case, in a box right below the Project home tab. There are two boxes; one for source and another for target.

Once you type the required word, hit enter, and all the segments that contain this word will immediately display.

HTH

Abdallah

Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:42
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both! Aug 5, 2014

Very straightforward, indeed

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Filter-on-filter Aug 5, 2014

I just wanted to mention that you can use the boxes recursively. Let's suppose you want to see all segments containing "company", then of those segments, all segments with "empresa" in the target language, and then from those segments only those segments where "headquarters" is present in the source. Simply write one of the terms in the box to make a first filtering, then enter the other terms and you keep filtering the search results more and more. When you want to go back to the full grid, sim... See more
I just wanted to mention that you can use the boxes recursively. Let's suppose you want to see all segments containing "company", then of those segments, all segments with "empresa" in the target language, and then from those segments only those segments where "headquarters" is present in the source. Simply write one of the terms in the box to make a first filtering, then enter the other terms and you keep filtering the search results more and more. When you want to go back to the full grid, simply click the red X button to clear the filters (you clear all filters in one go).

I often use this filtering in combination with temporarily sorting segments. For instance, I might filter for some letters that indicate the order number of parts in a long list, then sort by source length, and thus can find all similarly-looking part numbers in order to copy them to the target in one go.

Personally I find that, although memoQ has many more interesting features, this filtering is one of the most useful things that save me tons of time.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I filter for specific words (in MemoQ 2013 R2)?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »