Thread poster: boostrer

boostrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:52
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 8, 2014

I believe that this is a common problem for Trados Studio, MemoQ and any similar CAT tools.
I have several customers who send various projects. Projects for different customers require different settings (TMs, glossaries, etc.).

Right now, I am translating all projects from the same customer in one MemoQ project; however, the more I work, the more difficult it is to distinguish files that belong to different projects ordered by such a customer.

As far as I understand, management software (XTRF, Plunet, etc.) has no less than three hierarchical level within a project. Is it possible to do something similar in MemoQ? E.g., to add hierarchy Customer-Individual project. Or, maybe there are any other solutions.

Thank you!

Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
... Aug 8, 2014

boostrer wrote:

I believe that this is a common problem for Trados Studio, MemoQ and any similar CAT tools.
I have several customers who send various projects. Projects for different customers require different settings (TMs, glossaries, etc.).

Right now, I am translating all projects from the same customer in one MemoQ project; however, the more I work, the more difficult it is to distinguish files that belong to different projects ordered by such a customer.

As far as I understand, management software (XTRF, Plunet, etc.) has no less than three hierarchical level within a project. Is it possible to do something similar in MemoQ? E.g., to add hierarchy Customer-Individual project. Or, maybe there are any other solutions.

Thank you!

Not sure about MemoQ but with Trados I make each job (defined as having a unique purchase order) its own project, even if it is really just a part of a larger, related set of translations for a particular client. If you give the projects easily understandable names, there is little chance to forget what a project was.

With Trados, you can specify the customer for a project. It seems like you would also be able to sort projects by customer somehow, although I am not seeing how to do it in Projects View at the moment. At any rate, it is easier for me to keep track of invoicing if I make each job a unique project, because 1 project = 1 invoice, always. That's the main reason why I do it like I do.

Steven Segaert
Estonia
Local time: 15:52
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Empty the list Aug 9, 2014

" however, the more I work, the more difficult it is to distinguish files that belong to different projects ordered by such a customer"

You don't need to keep the documents in the project list. You can just put the segments in your TM and remove the document, or add the translated document to a LiveDocs corpus (which allows you to see the context).

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoQ Aug 10, 2014

What we do in my office is delete the files that are already completed, but keep the project. If there are two simultaneous projects, we define the deadline for the files of each project, so that we do not confuse one project with the other.

In my opinion after five years using memoQ, the software should not be a way to archive files or projects, but a kind of "factory" where you do your work, whereas the translatables and completed files should be archived in your own folders somewhere.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 14:52
English to French
Long-term storage of client's files Aug 12, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

What we do in my office is delete the files that are already completed, but keep the project. If there are two simultaneous projects, we define the deadline for the files of each project, so that we do not confuse one project with the other.

In my opinion after five years using memoQ, the software should not be a way to archive files or projects, but a kind of "factory" where you do your work, whereas the translatables and completed files should be archived in your own folders somewhere.

Interesting point...

Did it happen to anyone that an agency/client asked for a translated file years after?
Would there be an interest in that?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you arrange your projects?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search