Avoiding doubles in TM
Thread poster: Juancar
I'm sure many of you must have encountered this problem already. It is about re-importing a bilingual text with changes and updating the TM. Let's imagine we translate a doc file with MQ, we export the bilingual version, the client revises it, he send it back to me and I want to implement the changes in my TM. Obviously, I want the corrected sentences to replace the old ones in the TM.
What I do until now is go to 'Operations > Confirm and Update Rows...', but the TM keeps both versions, the old segments and the corrected ones.
Is there any settings I need to use for this?
Thanks a lot
| Disable "Use context"? || Oct 8, 2014 |
When you create a memory, you might want to disable the "Use context" checkbox. This context means that you can have one translation in one file, and a different translation in a different file.
Disabling the "Use context" checkbox should elliminate your issue since every time you edit/replace the translation of a segment, the new translation replaces the previous one. However, with this setting disabled you also lose the 101% matches, i.e. matches in context, something you might regret in the long run if you make regular updates of documents for your customers (for instance, new pieces of text based upon previously finished pieces, etc.).
I sometimes get validated translations from end customers with their preferences added, but since I do not want to lose the 101% matches, I manually delete from the memory any segments whose translation was edited by the customer. This also allows me to see what changes they made, in case I want to record their preferences in a customer-specific termbase.
| || |
| | Juancar
English to Spanish
Thank you Tomás
What version are you using? I can't see that "Use Context" option. Do you mean when creating the TM?
What I see is:
Allow multiple translations
Allow reverse lookup
I have tried creating a new one with the 'No context' option checked and 'Allow multiple translations' unchecked, but the result is the same.
Your help is much appreciated
| What format bilingual files do you use? || Oct 9, 2014 |
I used to have this problem when I exported to a Trados-compatible format and reimported a revised file in the same format. Exporting to an XLIFF/rtf format and reimporting in the same format seems to stop this happening. I also choose 'no context' and make sure the 'Allow multiple translations' box is unchecked when creating a TM.
Hope this helps
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
Avoiding doubles in TM
|Protemos translation business management system |
|Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!|
The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.
More info »
|PerfectIt consistency checker|
|Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy|
PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.
More info »