MemoQ easy TM edit
Thread poster: Marina Kiel
Dec 11, 2014

Hello

I work with MemoQ 2013 R2. After translation and proofreading I send the finished file (eg word doc) to the customer and one customer loves to edit and adapt the translation to their needs. Of course, this is good as we learn more about their meta language with each translation. However, it's quite useless if the translation memory will not be changed after this because after some months I will have forgotten the changes from the customer.

Is there a possibility in MemoQ to just upload the final customer version and MemoQ updates the translation memory accordingly?

Thanks a lot for your help and support.

Marina

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:20
Finnish to French
Monolingual review Dec 11, 2014

Does this help:

http://kilgray.com/memoq/2013R2/help-full-en/index.html?import_reviewed_document.html

Juancar
English to Spanish
What about the TM? Dec 12, 2014

Great answer Dominique! I didn't know that function.
My question now is, what happens with the memory? Does the corrected segments overwrite mine for future references? Or they create a double entry?

Thanks

JC

Finnish to French
Up to you Dec 13, 2014

Juancar wrote:
I didn't know that function.

With major memoQ releases coming out twice a year, it's sometimes hard to stay up-to-date!
Juancar wrote:
My question now is, what happens with the memory? Does the corrected segments overwrite mine for future references? Or they create a double entry?

It depends on the segmentation of the reviewed document and on what you do with the imported monolingual review in memoQ. If all segments of the monolingual review match the source segments of the original document and if you confirm everything, then the corrected segments should replace the original ones in the TM.

If you use the working/master TM approach introduced in memoQ 2014 and if you wait until you receive the final, reviewed documents from your client before "wrapping up", you can make sure your TM (the "master" TM) only contains the final translations.

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 12:20
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Keep all codes in a TM ! Dec 13, 2014

Hi Marina,

MemoQ 2014 R2 is a package with amazing features, but... Facing a possible update of documents, changes, new versions etc., there is one main rule that applies for any CAT:
Keep all codes in a TM and you won't have any problems in updating any document, what needs to be updated will show less than a 100 % match when pretranslating, so you know where you are at.

MemoQ offers various ways to handle file updates, but the simple rule of maintaining your TMs well is unbeatable IMO.

Greets,
Mike

Finnish to French
Codes not the issue here Dec 13, 2014

MikeTrans wrote:
Keep all codes in a TM and you won't have any problems in updating any document

Marina didn't say anything about codes (by which I assume you mean tags). They are not the issue here. The issue (if I got it right) was the common problem where the client makes changes to the final, target language document and the translator wants these changes reflected in her TM.

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 12:20
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
ah, target language changes ...sorry, Dec 13, 2014

Hi Marina, hi Dominique,

sorry, I have overseen that your "target" language is to change.
Well, personally I have more types of TMs, client TMs which reflect such changes and which I also use to build a 'story' about what has already been translated (a rate question, also!), and then my personal TMs which I may or may not update with the client's entries.

For client TMs, you just send your current file to them, as said: keeping the codes. Or you do like Dominique suggests.

In Trados Studio, one can open a document for review that will show tracked changes. In MemoQ, you just import such a changed document, but you must have loaded the corrisponding project first (?) I'm not sure here.

Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ easy TM edit

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search