How to display inconsistencies between TM and translated segments?
Thread poster: Alison Watt

Alison Watt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:53
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2015

Hi there,

I have a MemoQ question, quite a specific one...

I'm working in a big project with several separate documents. I translate a segment in the first document, which then reappears in a later file. At that point I proofread and edit the segment. What I want to know is, can I change my settings to impose the changes I made to the second segment onto the first? At the moment any changes I make to the second segment are not reflected in the first, meaning there are inconsistencies. I've tried to use auto-propagate "forwards and backwards" which I thought would do the trick but it hasn't worked...

Or is there a way of going back and reviewing the first document that would point out the changes I had made? E.g. a "translate to fuzzy" sort of scenario? The TM doesn't seem to highlight this automatically, like Trados would.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or changes I can make to my settings.

Thanks,
Alison

Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 02:53
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Join and... at the end QA Mar 11, 2015

Hello Alison,

create a view where all your files will be bundled in a kind of "virtual" document. When you confirm a segment in this view, it will propagate the contents to all equal segments.

Make sure you chose the setting:

Translation > Auto-propagation > Allow propagation > Direction - backward and forward

After finishing the translation, you can still check inconsistencies through the QA module.

Alison Watt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:53
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Mar 11, 2015

Thanks Marcos, I will give that a try!

I should have mentioned that I'd run a QA (check for inconsistent translations) and it hadn't brought anything up - but I was working in the files separately, not in one view, so perhaps that's why!

Will report back if I have further questionsicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to display inconsistencies between TM and translated segments?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search