Patricia Bowden
Italy
Local time: 02:04
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Mar 15, 2015

Hello everyone!

I am a first-time user of Kilgrey MemoQ and I need help. I downloaded the program last week for a rather large alignment project that I received. I figured that MemoQ qould not be too difficult to learn since I am a long time user of SDL Traods.

Boy was I wrong. Learning how to navigate MemoQ has been very painful for me. However, I was able to set everything up and get going.

A little background on how i landed myself in my current predicim
... See more
Hello everyone!

I am a first-time user of Kilgrey MemoQ and I need help. I downloaded the program last week for a rather large alignment project that I received. I figured that MemoQ qould not be too difficult to learn since I am a long time user of SDL Traods.

Boy was I wrong. Learning how to navigate MemoQ has been very painful for me. However, I was able to set everything up and get going.

A little background on how i landed myself in my current prediciment.
1) I created a project, then imported the files provided using the XLIFF filter using the "import document" function, as per the instructions.
2) The PM and I later found out that the instructions were incorrect and that I had to use the "import" function, not "import document."
3) I then began from scratch. I deleted the old project and created a new one, then imported the documents there using the correct "import function" and the XLIFF filter.
4) However, I noticed that when it came time to select a TM, it gave me the option of using the TM that I created in step 1. I thought this would be convenient and so I selected that as my TM.
5) I completed the alignment without issue and exported the files, as request.
6) However, Midway through the project, the client requested that we also create a TM and give it a specific file name.
7) I exported to a TM by pressing "export to TM under "Livedocs" and the program began exporting.
Here is my problem
8) The program has been exporting for over 35 hours and does not seem to be anywhere near completion.

At first, I thought it was just because there are a lot of files. It is exporting 350 files (700 if you could the source and target documents seperately)
Now I am starting to wonder if I made a mistake in pointing it to the TM from the first project. My worry is that it is exporting to a TM that doesn't exist (though, to be honest, I would hope that it would simply give me an error message if that was the case)
I would like to eliminate the possibility of it exporting to a deleted TM by locate said TM, but I cannot.

Can someone tell me the file extension for MemoQ TMs so that I may locate the file and verifiy that it is not in the trash?

Also, can someone tell me if it is normal for MemoQ to take so long to export alignment files to a TM?

Many thanks for your answers!
Collapse

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:04
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Cancel it and create a new TM Mar 15, 2015

Hi, Patricia.
It's not normal. Exporting should not take more than a few minutes.
I would cancel the export to that TM at this point.
Make sure you save your alignment work.
Go to the project settings, create a new TM. When you create the TM, it will show you the path to the TM. Make a note of it to find it later or save it somewhere else where you can find it and send it to the client. The TM extension is .mtm, by the way.
Make sure to check only the new TM.
... See more
Hi, Patricia.
It's not normal. Exporting should not take more than a few minutes.
I would cancel the export to that TM at this point.
Make sure you save your alignment work.
Go to the project settings, create a new TM. When you create the TM, it will show you the path to the TM. Make a note of it to find it later or save it somewhere else where you can find it and send it to the client. The TM extension is .mtm, by the way.
Make sure to check only the new TM.
Export the aligned segments.

More on alignment here: http://kilgray.com/memoq/60/help-en/index.html?alignment.html
HTH

[Editat la 2015-03-15 17:21 GMT]
Collapse

Patricia Bowden
Patricia Bowden
Italy
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 15, 2015

Thank you!

I was afraid to cancel the process because if this was normal, then I would just have to begin again from scratch.

I received a happy surprise when I came home in that the process had already completed! I was happy that I did not have to cancel it. With that process done, I was able to get the file path for the TM that it was writing to. I am unfamiliar with MemoQ TMs and so I am not sure if this looks correct.

See more
Thank you!

I was afraid to cancel the process because if this was normal, then I would just have to begin again from scratch.

I received a happy surprise when I came home in that the process had already completed! I was happy that I did not have to cancel it. With that process done, I was able to get the file path for the TM that it was writing to. I am unfamiliar with MemoQ TMs and so I am not sure if this looks correct.

I copied the files to a more accessible folder. I also followed your advice and created a new TM, placed it in the folder of my choice, made sure that it was the only TM checked, and am now re-exporting to that one. My only worry is that the process seems to be just as slow. I hope it will not as slow be because it took just shy of 48 hours the first time.
Collapse

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:04
English to Russian
+ ...
New TM Mar 15, 2015

I'd suggest to Create New TM, set it as Working/Master TM in your project, and in "Prepare" tab use "Confirm and Update" and confirm and update "Translator confirmed segments". That would take not much time and you will get your as-you-need-named TM. Then Go into project settings and (if you want to get bak to it) set your first TM as the primary/master. This should do it.

Good luck.
P.S. I guess you tried to use too complicated way. Try to think simpler. Maybe it is not SOOO
... See more
I'd suggest to Create New TM, set it as Working/Master TM in your project, and in "Prepare" tab use "Confirm and Update" and confirm and update "Translator confirmed segments". That would take not much time and you will get your as-you-need-named TM. Then Go into project settings and (if you want to get bak to it) set your first TM as the primary/master. This should do it.

Good luck.
P.S. I guess you tried to use too complicated way. Try to think simpler. Maybe it is not SOOOO PROFESSIONAL but it works for me and works fast when I need the same to be done.

GL, pal.

[Edited at 2015-03-15 22:42 GMT]
Collapse

Patricia Bowden
Patricia Bowden
Italy
Member (2013)
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Mar 17, 2015

So, the situation seems to be solved.

The second process ended up taking just as long as the first and so I had to cancel that process. The PM needed the project to move onto the next step so I generated a TMX file from the first TM (the one that took almost 48 hours to complete). The PM then created a cloud-based project using that TM and it is working perfectly.

So I guess that it was normal for it to take that long to process 350 alignment files (the alignm
... See more
So, the situation seems to be solved.

The second process ended up taking just as long as the first and so I had to cancel that process. The PM needed the project to move onto the next step so I generated a TMX file from the first TM (the one that took almost 48 hours to complete). The PM then created a cloud-based project using that TM and it is working perfectly.

So I guess that it was normal for it to take that long to process 350 alignment files (the alignment project was local, not cloud-based)

Thank you both Cristiana and CJIoHuKu for offering solutions. You both helped a lot!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help exporting to TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »