project directories for memoQ templates
Thread poster: Mike Wilkinson

Mike Wilkinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2015

When you define project templates in memoQ, the project directories are all placed in the same location. You can redefine it, but they still all remain in the same directory.

For my own reasons (backups and compatibility with the way I use other CAT tools), I keep everything belonging to a specific job together in a single directory: sources, references, purchase orders, target files, notes... and the CAT-specific stuff (the project directories). As you define a normal memoQ project, you can set the project directory. Fine, though it would be neater if it could be parameterised. But with a template, as far as I can tell, you're stuck. The project directory is automatically created in the default location. And you can't even move it afterwards, otherwise memoQ can't open the project again.
So what I really need is for the project directory to be something like (in my case):
D:/Translations/{client}/{project}/mq

Anyone know a way of achieving something like that?
Without it, the otherwise very useful template functionality is unusable for me.

Mike

Direct link Reply with quote

Denis Hay
Not recommended at all Mar 24, 2015

Hi Mike,

I can very comfortably recommend you to NOT do that (individually place files over there). If you do happen to move your directories afterwards, you *will* create trouble.

If you go to Options > Locations, you can define any "repository" directory you want, but you should NOT. I repeat NOT store individual projects/TMs withing projects folders. This is asking for trouble.

If you want to keep something useful with your project, templates allow you to (automatically) export bilingual XLIFFs and even your TMs (in the future) wherever you want, but memoQ is not a tool that requires you to micro-manage each and every resource. That's actually exactly the opposite. Resources and projects are centralized.

In your case, consider having a D:\memoQ directory and have everything in there. It will be just as easy to backup and safe and will be much, much better on the long run, trust me.

Mike Wilkinson  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
other way round... Mar 24, 2015

Thanks for the info, Denis, but what I would like to do is the other way round. I haven't the slightest intention of interfering with memoQ's own project directories and putting extra files inside there! (I think that's what you were saying I shouldn't do?) Nor do I want to move the directories: I've learned the hard way that memoQ isn't very robust or helpful in that case.

However, what we have been doing for several years with no ill effects whatsoever is locating the memoQ project directories themselves at the appropriate places inside our own job directory structures. This is a convenient method for me because it is consistent with my other tools (I don't only use memoQ), my IT consultancy work, my web designs, sharing jobs among the four of us, etcetera. It also makes incremental backups simpler (again because there's more than just memoQ involved). But the templates have so far proved incompatible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

project directories for memoQ templates

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search