Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 7, 2015

Hello everyone

I've noticed that in the MemoQ bilingual RTF export there is a column called "Comments", and sometimes there are comments there that were left by the previous person. But if I'm the editor or 2nd proofreader, should I also use the Comments column, or can I simply use MS Word's normal commenting feature? What will the difference be for the person receiving the file back into MemoQ? Will they see my comments if I don't use the "Comments" column but use MS Word's comm
... See more
Hello everyone

I've noticed that in the MemoQ bilingual RTF export there is a column called "Comments", and sometimes there are comments there that were left by the previous person. But if I'm the editor or 2nd proofreader, should I also use the Comments column, or can I simply use MS Word's normal commenting feature? What will the difference be for the person receiving the file back into MemoQ? Will they see my comments if I don't use the "Comments" column but use MS Word's commenting feature instead? And if I type a second sentence into the "Comments" column with tracked changes enabled (if there is an existing sentence from the previous person), will the fact that the second sentence in the column was added by *me* be visible to the person using MemoQ?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:45
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Here's what happens Apr 7, 2015

Here is what happens in the scenarios you described:

1. You add a comment in the Comment column of the bilingual RTF
– When you re-import the bilingual RTF in memoQ, you can see the comment that you added in Word. Tracking Changes or not, the result is the same. The person who added the comment in Word will be identified in memoQ as Table RTF.

2. You add a comment by using Word's commenting feature
– When you re-import the bilingual RTF i
... See more
Here is what happens in the scenarios you described:

1. You add a comment in the Comment column of the bilingual RTF
– When you re-import the bilingual RTF in memoQ, you can see the comment that you added in Word. Tracking Changes or not, the result is the same. The person who added the comment in Word will be identified in memoQ as Table RTF.

2. You add a comment by using Word's commenting feature
– When you re-import the bilingual RTF in memoQ, you can't see the comments that you added in Word.

Conclusion:
Use the Comment column in the bilingual RTF table; that is what it has been designed for.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Epameinondas Apr 7, 2015

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
The person who added the comment in Word will be identified in memoQ as Table RTF.

Aah, so each person working on the file should preferably prepend their comment with initials, e.g. instead of just writing "Possible SL error", write "TR: Possible SL error" and then "PR: I agree" instead of just adding "I agree" in a different colour.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:45
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes, do that Apr 7, 2015

Yes, that would be a simple and practical solution.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding comments to MemoQ bilingual export

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »