Khaled El Qaisi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:41
Member (2014)
Arabic to Italian
+ ...
Apr 16, 2015

Good evening.

I'm new to memoQ, as I usually translate with SDL Trados Studio 2014. I have to say that I find memoQ a bit easier to use than Trados, but due to my inexperience, I'm facing some difficulties calculating the price that I have to charge my client.

In fact, while analyzing the project that I'm translating, memoQ shows the following statistic:

All:
32231 words

Ripetitions:
3537 words

101%:
26123 words

100%:
1195 words

95%-99%:
586 words

85%-94%:
244 words

75%-84%:
310 words

50%-74%:
98 words

No match:
138 words

I've noticed that memoQ doesn't count the first time I've translated a word (that would have only later become part of a repeated segment - a so-called "repetition") in the "No match" section.

It's the first time that I use memoQ, so I don't know how to manage this situation.
This is confusing me also because I have agreed with my client on the fact that he would not have had to pay me the full rate for repetitions, but only a percentage of the rate-per-word.

I'm sure that there's a simple solution to this problem, I've searched on Proz.com and Google, but I didn't manage to find it.
I hope that someone of more experienced memoQ users can help me figuring out how to solve this dilemma.

In the meantime, thank you so much for your time and attention.

[Modificato alle 2015-04-16 23:49 GMT]

Italy
Member (2014)
Arabic to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM Apr 16, 2015

P.S.: I forgot to mention the fact that, since memoQ stored translations that I've later corrected, I've played a bit around deleting incorrect entries from the TM.

May this be the cause of all this mess?

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:41
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Are you using the already-filled TM? Apr 16, 2015

Perhaps I didn't understand the problem entirely, but you are running an analysis on a project mid-way, with a TM you have already populated?

This is fairly meaningless rate-wise, and the only reason you'd do it is to check how much you still need to translate...

To know exactly how much you need to charge your client, you need to run the analysis against an empty TM (unless the client provided a TM, in which case you run the analysis without making any changes to it).

To calculate the "Repetitions", the tool considers entire segments (not necessarily single words) that appear exactly "as is" later on (e.g., a page header or a copyright notice shown in every page), and the words of these segments are counted once as new content (No Match) and subsequently as repetitions.

Hope it helps!

Italy
Member (2014)
Arabic to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM Apr 16, 2015

Thank you for your prompt reply, Rossana.

I realize now that it has been senseless on my part trying to run analysis with an already populated TM.
This problem has arisen when, after translating a few documents for one of my clients, he sent me a new document to translate, and I've directly started translating it before performing the file analysis.

Fortunately, however, I constantly backup my TMs, so I've managed to calculate the new document's repetitions by creating a new project and importing the TM backup that I've made just before starting translating.

I've just stuck a sticky note on my desk on which I wrote: "Do not ever begin translating without running an analysis".

I've really appreciated the help you gave me.

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:41
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
You can do an analysis with an empty TM anytime Apr 17, 2015

You can always get a clean analysis at any time - you simply have to remove (as in, don't "Use in project", not delete) the TM, run the analysis, and then add the TM again to continue working. At most you'd have to create and add a blank TM, but I think most CAT tools now don't need this step either.

If you wanted to leverage a TM you had (prior to beginning to work on that specific document), it can be done but it's more complicated (you can filter the newly added segments by date and delete them to recreate the original TM). Anyway, backing up was a great idea, as it always is!icon_smile.gif

Glad it helped!

Italy
Member (2014)
Arabic to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you again Apr 17, 2015

Thanks again for your valuable tips.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Solved] Calculating rates/repetitions

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search