Thread poster: Transexpertise
Transexpertise  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:07
French to English
+ ...
Apr 22, 2015

Hi,

A client sent us a file with striken text. The translator in charge of this translation told me that MemoQ will only show the whole text and not the strike through parts. Is there a way to see the striken parts in MemoQ and to copy them into the translated part?

Thanks for your help

Direct link Reply with quote

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:07
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
What is the nature of the strike-through formatting? Apr 22, 2015

Is it character formatting or change tracking in MS Word?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
What's the problem? Apr 22, 2015

Assuming the original file is a Word document, the following document:

would look like this once imported in memoQ:

I therefore fail to see where the problem is: whether it's an entire segment that's stricken (segment #2) or only part of it (segment #3), everything is imported and displayed in memoQ.

Finnish to French
Good question Apr 22, 2015

esperantisto wrote:
Is it character formatting or change tracking in MS Word?

Good question indeed: we know pretty little about the file. Tracked changes in Office documents can result into text that appears stricken.

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
stricken (strikethrough) = hidden Apr 22, 2015

Transexpertise wrote:

Hi,

A client sent us a file with s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶ hidden text. The translator in charge of this translation told me that MemoQ will only show the whole text and not the s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ hidden parts. Is there a way to see the s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶n̶ hidden parts in MemoQ and to copy them into the translated part?

Thanks for your help

If you replace the word "striken" (sic) with "hidden", the original post makes more sense.

Michael

PS: speaking of which, does anyone here know which code to use to get strikethrough to work here in the forum? I tried all the usual suspects ("s", "strike" and "del").

PPS: workaround to my question in the previous PS: http://fsymbols.com/generators/strikethrough/

[Edited at 2015-04-22 19:21 GMT]

Finnish to French
Stricken vs. hidden Apr 22, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Transexpertise wrote:
A client sent us a file with s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶e̶x̶t̶ hidden text. The translator in charge of this translation told me that MemoQ will only show the whole text and not the s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ hidden parts. Is there a way to see the s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶n̶ hidden parts in MemoQ and to copy them into the translated part?

If you replace the word "striken" (sic) with "hidden", the original post makes more sense.

Well, even if the OP misspelt "stricken" ("struck"?), I guess (s)he meant that, not "hidden".

Transexpertise  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:07
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 22, 2015

Thanks for your help, she found how to work with this file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Striken text in MemoQ

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search