MemoQ 2015 new release
Thread poster: John Fossey

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:51
Member (2008)
French to English
Jun 2, 2015

I just downloaded memoQ 2015, installed it and started using it. So far I'm mostly impressed. The layout is clean and the ribbon-type controls, now that most users are used to them from MS Office programs, seem to be clear and crisp. They are also totally customizable, it appears. Startup was quicker than 2014, after clicking the icon. Operation also seems to be quicker with less hangs while something happens under the hood. The new drag & drop "Start translating" feature looks interesting, although I haven't tried it yet. There is a TM Search application that installed alongside MemoQ 2015, which can search all selected TMs for a term copied to the clipboard. This could prove useful when you recall having translated a term in the past but for a different client or saved in a different TM than the active one.

There is still a hanging/crashing problem with the Web Search function, probably arising from interaction with the Internet Explorer engine in Windows.

Kilgray says there is improved compatibility with SDL Studio SDLXLIFF files, so this will be welcome to those of us that have SDL clients but prefer to work in MemoQ.

[Edited at 2015-06-02 17:09 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx2nl  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:51
You prefer to work in MemoQ Jun 2, 2015

John Fossey wrote:

Kilgray says there is improved compatibility with SDL Studio SDLXLIFF files, so this will be welcome to those of us that have SDL clients but prefer to work in MemoQ.

Thanks John, for the update! What would be your (personal) reasons to prefer memoQ to Studio? What I like about Studio is the fact that it uses XLIFF as a native file format. What I like about memoQ is its auto-assembling, just like in CafeTran for Mac and Déjà Vu.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:51
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
I prefer to work in MemoQ Jun 2, 2015

2nl wrote:

What would be your (personal) reasons to prefer memoQ to Studio?

Where do I begin? I don't use Studio much, mostly for one client where I need to connect to their TM server and leverage entries in their TM. Otherwise, there are many features about MemoQ - auto-assembling as you mention, the Muse, the autotranslation rules which seem to me to be more manageable, etc. At the end of the day I seem to be more productive and less frustrated working in MemoQ.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 2015 new release

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search