How to not translate PowerPoint comments
Thread poster: John Fossey

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:09
Member (2008)
French to English
Jun 10, 2015

I have a PowerPoint file for which I have to translate the slides but not the comments. If this were a Word document I would hide the sections that are not to be translated and they would then not show up after import into MemoQ or another CAT.

However, PPT doesn't seem to have an option to hide text. What is the best way to do this? It will be difficult to go through each segment and locate on the PPT whether it should be translated or not.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:09
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Workaround Jun 10, 2015

If your PPT file is not too large, do this:

1. Make a copy of the file.
2. Open the copy in PowerPoint and delete all non-translatable comments on all slides.
3. Translate the abridged copy in your CAT tool.
4. Open the original PPT in your CAT tool and apply the TM.
5. Voila.

[Edited at 2015-06-10 12:54 GMT]

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent Jun 10, 2015

Excellent and simple idea. Many thanks!

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
A manual check wouldn't hurt after applying the TM Jun 10, 2015

The only potential drawback I see is if some PPT comments exactly matched some of the translatable segments. You should check for this manually just in case.

If anyone else is aware of a more robust solution for MemoQ, i.e. how to exclude PPT comments during the file import process, I would love to know it too.

VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
Too much hassle, just lock them Jun 12, 2015

John Fossey wrote:
...are not to be translated and they would then not show up after import into MemoQ or another CAT...

When I translate things like presentations / diagrams, I usually split the view on monitor (above the original file amd below is the CAT). Progress in CAT involves gradual (manually of course) moving of the PPT above. In this case I understand better the context. So, if I don't need to translate (a) segment(s), but leave it/them "as is", I just copy original into translation and lock it. If there is a bunch of such segments - just copy and lock them, why all these tricks with TMX and retranslations? Export will provide you with all your translations done and untranslated parts left - nothing to invent.

Good luck.

Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
First way is simpler Jun 12, 2015

VIP9N wrote:

John Fossey wrote:
...are not to be translated and they would then not show up after import into MemoQ or another CAT...

When I translate things like presentations / diagrams, I usually split the view on monitor (above the original file amd below is the CAT). Progress in CAT involves gradual (manually of course) moving of the PPT above. In this case I understand better the context. So, if I don't need to translate (a) segment(s), but leave it/them "as is", I just copy original into translation and lock it. If there is a bunch of such segments - just copy and lock them, why all these tricks with TMX and retranslations? Export will provide you with all your translations done and untranslated parts left - nothing to invent.

Good luck.

I did the job as Mikhail suggested, which I believe is the simplest. Deleting the comments in a copied file as he suggested took a few minutes, even though there were extensive comments in some places (Ctrl+A Select all + backspace and the comment is gone). There were no "tricks with TMX" - nothing involving a TMX at all - and retranslating the final document took about 10 seconds.

[Edited at 2015-06-12 17:45 GMT]

VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
Good Jun 12, 2015

John Fossey wrote:
...I did the job as Mikhail suggested..

Good job John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to not translate PowerPoint comments

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search