MemoQ missing term base results
Thread poster: Laura Kingdon

Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:29
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2015

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has been asked before, and if so, feel free to point me to the appropriate thread. I couldn't find anything through by searching.

First of all, I use Trados Studio as my main CAT tool, and I only have one occasional client who insists on MemoQ, so I don't know it especially well.

The problem I'm having is that terms that I know are in the term base aren't appearing in the "Translation results" list to the right of the translations. So, for example, if I have a character named 헨리 in the translation and I enter this into the term base with the translation Henry, that entry doesn't appear the next time I come to a segment involving Henry. If I try to re-add Henry to the term base, it tells me there's a duplicate - the Henry I already added, of course. This happens regardless of whether or not the term was pre-existing when the term base was originally added to the project or whether I've added the term myself while working. I would estimate that only about 10% of the term base results are actually appearing in the results list. Since they do appear and since I can edit the term base, I know it's working; it's just not showing me everything it should for some reason.

Can anyone help? This client's projects involve a lot of terms like names that have to be kept consistent, so having to keep doing concordance searches instead of just seeing the information on my screen is wasting a lot of time.

Thanks!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:29
English to Russian
Prefix matching Aug 27, 2015

Try to remove prefix matching in term properties for the Henry entry. If it helps, do the same for the entire TB in Edit mode.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:29
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck :( Aug 27, 2015

Thanks, but nothing changed.

It may be worth noting that I don't have full access to the TB - I can see everything and seemingly I can edit the matches as you suggested, but the term base is on a remote server managed by the agency I'm working for and I can't, for example, download an offline copy (one thing I thought might help) or repair the term base. I've also asked this agency if they have any idea what's wrong, but as we're on completely different time zones and it's hard to communicate quickly and I have a deadline, I'm hoping someone here can help...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:29
English to Russian
Add your own TB Aug 27, 2015

However you still can add your own TB (offline) and add those names on your own, can't you?
I am not sure, if you can set your own offline TB as primary along with your LSP's server-based TB. But you can try...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:29
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More info... Aug 28, 2015

I could make my own offline TB, but then I'd still have to look up the thousands of names from the existing TB (this project goes back well before I started working on it), so that's not a perfect solution.

This is rather stupid of me, but I just realized what's causing the problem. Most of the names have strings before them - so in my example above, Henry appears in the results list when he's referred to only as Henry, but he's very often referred to as, say, "$34#Henry", and then doesn't appear. So, is there any way to get MemoQ to recognize Henry even with a couple of extra characters before or after his name? Unfortunately the stuff before the name changes quite frequently, so it's not entirely practical to add $34#Henry to the TB as he might well be $2Henry or something the next time.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:29
English to Russian
80% threshold Aug 28, 2015

AFAIK memoQ has an 80% threshold which is not adjustable for users.
Even if you set prefix match to 'Fuzzy' and disable case sensitivity, memoQ still applies its internal calculation rules.

E.g., if you add 'thousand' into your TB, you will get this term for 'thousands' (with 1 char added) to 'thousandssss' (with 4 chars added) but not for 'thousandsssss' (with 5 chars added) or '(click)thousand(/click)' (with 15 chars added).

Either users may not adjust this threshold by default, or I have no idea how to do that...

Would appreciate a solution too (if any).

[Edited at 2015-08-28 08:42 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ missing term base results

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search