What are the exact steps to recover a TM in MemoQ?
Thread poster: Pristine
Pristine
Pristine
Local time: 10:53
English to German
Sep 9, 2015

Here is what happened:

I completed a translation in MemoQ and synchronized it. Then some kind of glitch must have happened and my done translation was filled with the source file. Outch!

The project manager of the company at the other end told me that she would not know how to recover the TM on her side.

I had to translate the same project all over. However, as I synchronized the translation before, the TM should be somehow still available, right?
... See more
Here is what happened:

I completed a translation in MemoQ and synchronized it. Then some kind of glitch must have happened and my done translation was filled with the source file. Outch!

The project manager of the company at the other end told me that she would not know how to recover the TM on her side.

I had to translate the same project all over. However, as I synchronized the translation before, the TM should be somehow still available, right?

I found this help page. It refers me to .mqbkf files but I could not find such files on my local computer.

http://kilgray.com/memoq/62/help-en/index.html?back_up_and_restore_projects_i.html

Anyone who can give me a tip on how to prevent that I have to translate the same project again in the future?
Collapse

Marc Cordes
Marc Cordes  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:53
English to German
+ ...
locations Sep 9, 2015

Hi there,

In order to locate your TM files go to "Tools" then "Options" and choose "Locations" in the left hand list ( http://screencast.com/t/FdhxCgHxH ). There you should be able to locate the exact path to your default storage for TM files.

It sounds as if you were working on a server based assignment meaning that you did not work with local TM resources but the TM which was
... See more
Hi there,

In order to locate your TM files go to "Tools" then "Options" and choose "Locations" in the left hand list ( http://screencast.com/t/FdhxCgHxH ). There you should be able to locate the exact path to your default storage for TM files.

It sounds as if you were working on a server based assignment meaning that you did not work with local TM resources but the TM which was available on that MemoQ server you worked on. If that is the case you can log on to that server again and try to use the option "Synchronize offline" on the lower right side of the "translation memories" tab. MemoQ server TM resources are usually colour coded ( http://screencast.com/t/ucwhTW4uI ). Once made available on your installation locally you should be able to have a look into the TM to see if your entries are still there. If that is the case it should come down to a simple pre-translation choice to restore all your entries locally. Then just export again and send the exported file over.

I have no idea if this will actually solve your problem but that is exactly what I would try. If you do work on a local project which is NOT on an external MemoQ server then the "locations" entry should show you where your .mqbkf files are stored on your machine.

Crossing fingers!

*Edited to correct links*

[Edited at 2015-09-09 20:44 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the exact steps to recover a TM in MemoQ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »