Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Exporting from LiveDocs corpus
Thread poster: Stella Pantofel

Stella Pantofel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Nov 11, 2015

Hello,

I created a corpus from old translations and aligned them.
I would like to export them, but it only let's me export them in the mqxlz.
How can i export them in mqxliff format?

Thank you,
Stella


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Finnish to French
Workflow? Nov 11, 2015

I assume your question is related to this other thread on the Trados forum.

What are you trying to achieve, ie. what is your exact workflow: what do you intend to translate in what tool and with what resources?

If you plan to use the alignment you performed in memoQ for translation in Trados, your best bet would probably be to export it as a TM. If so, export it as a memoQ TM (eg. an empty one created for that purpose), and then export that TM as TMX, which Trados should be able to import.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:03
English to Russian
Why not mqxlz? Nov 12, 2015

Unlike mqxliff, mqxlz includes all required meta data and may be more practicable.

[Edited at 2015-11-12 15:59 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Finnish to French
Problems with MQZLZ Nov 12, 2015

Stepan Konev wrote:
Unlike mqxliff, mqxlz includes all required meta data and may be more practicable.

AFAIK, the extra data included in the MQXLZ (eg. skeleton) can only be used by memoQ, and the OP wishes to use it in Trados. Secondly, an exported LiveDocs is not a "real" document, so the skeleton won’t be of much use with it.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stella Pantofel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workflow Nov 12, 2015

I am using the free MemoQ version, so I can't export it to TM.
I'm just trying to avoid extracting lots of mqxlz files one by one.
I do want to creat a TM in SDL Trados for the aligned docs in MemoQ, because I find the align simpler and friendlier.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Finnish to French
Alternative aligner Nov 12, 2015

Stella Pantofel wrote:
I am using the free MemoQ version, so I can't export it to TM.

OK, that would explain it.
Stella Pantofel wrote:
I'm just trying to avoid extracting lots of mqxlz files one by one.

Another problem with mqxlz files is that the XLIFF file they contain is always called "document.mqxliff". Major annoyance if you’ve got lots of mqxlz in the same folder.
Stella Pantofel wrote:
I do want to creat a TM in SDL Trados for the aligned docs in MemoQ, because I find the align simpler and friendlier.

It’s not just the aligner that simpler and friendlier, IMNSHO

Have you had a look at LF Aligner? Its interface may not be as sexy as that of memoQ or other tools, but it sure is powerful and smart.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Finnish to French
Upgrade path Nov 12, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Stella Pantofel wrote:
I do want to creat a TM in SDL Trados for the aligned docs in MemoQ, because I find the align simpler and friendlier.

It’s not just the aligner that simpler and friendlier, IMNSHO

I just noticed from the other thread on the Trados forum you are using Studio 2011. Were you to upgrade your copy of Studio to the current version, you would probably find you could get a new memoQ license discounted for more or less the same price.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ABBYY Aligner 2.0 is free for freelance translators! Nov 12, 2015

I recently discovered that ABBYY Aligner 2.0 is free for us translators. I have been testing it now for a couple days and it is pretty darned good. My favourite is still AlignFactory, but ABBYY is very close indeed.

http://www.abbyy.com/aligner/buy/ ("Both Aligner 2.0 Freelance and SmartCAT are available to freelance translators free of charge.")
http://www.abbyy.com/aligner/ (general info)

Not sure what the limitations are compared to the corporate version, but it seems to be fully functional.



Michael


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
much improved aligner in Studio 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Stella Pantofel wrote:
I do want to creat a TM in SDL Trados for the aligned docs in MemoQ, because I find the align simpler and friendlier.

It’s not just the aligner that simpler and friendlier, IMNSHO

I just noticed from the other thread on the Trados forum you are using Studio 2011. Were you to upgrade your copy of Studio to the current version, you would probably find you could get a new memoQ license discounted for more or less the same price.


PS: Apparently the aligner in Studio 2015 is way better than that in previous Studios.

Michael


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Finnish to French
New Studio aligner vs. other aligners Nov 12, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
PS: Apparently the aligner in Studio 2015 is way better than that in previous Studios.

The old WinAlign was so pathetic improving on it wasn’t too hard

Have you actually compared the new Studio aligner to other aligners (eg. LF & ABBYY)?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stella Pantofel  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 12, 2015

Thanks a lot, guys!
All of your suggestions were really helpful.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nope. Nov 12, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
PS: Apparently the aligner in Studio 2015 is way better than that in previous Studios.

The old WinAlign was so pathetic improving on it wasn’t too hard

Have you actually compared the new Studio aligner to other aligners (eg. LF & ABBYY)?



I haven't used the new Studio aligner yet. I expect I will need another nine years to locate it among the bewildering maze of useless non-translator features in this lumbering corporate behemoth. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they are trying to improve it, and Paul is a really nice guy, but the whole project is doomed from the start. Anyway, I digress. As I said, I haven't used the new Studio aligner yet. However, I have used LF Aligner, and I have used ABBYY Aligner 2.0, and both are good, in their different ways. ABBYY's aligner is almost as good as AlignFactory (still the gold standard imo), but the other day I was aligning some PDFs I had found online and wanted to quickly change it so the program would break after semicolons (as I was aligning legal stuff), but couldn't find the feature in ABBYY (which I was trialling), so I ended doing it in AlignFactory, as I usually do.

AABBYY Aligner looks very promising though, and I am especially interested in how its alignment editor (which is built into the main program) performs compared to that of AlignFactory, which is quite bad with big TMXs.

Wow, just checked (http://www.abbyy.com/aligner/licence-policy/ ), and ABBYY's freelance version is indeed fully functional! Only difference is "Batch processing mode (automatic processing of large amounts of documents)" (which I don't need).

Michael


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Finnish to French
ABBYY Aligner 2.0 Nov 12, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
http://www.abbyy.com/aligner/buy/ ("Both Aligner 2.0 Freelance and SmartCAT are available to freelance translators free of charge.")

I wonder how long it takes to obtain the link to download the aligner. I did as instructed (sent an email to support@smartcat.pro with the subject "Aligner") a couple of hours ago. I guess I’ll have to wait for employees to get to their Russian office tomorrow. Sounds like a cumbersome way for a high-tech company to distribute their free software...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:03
Finnish to French
Paul’s video Nov 12, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
I haven't used the new Studio aligner yet. I expect I will need another nine years to locate it

The fastest way to locate it is to google "paul filkin alignment studio" and watch the first 30 seconds of his video. Way more efficient than trying to use Studio’s own Help...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:03
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
If I remember correctly … Nov 12, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
http://www.abbyy.com/aligner/buy/ ("Both Aligner 2.0 Freelance and SmartCAT are available to freelance translators free of charge.")

I wonder how long it takes to obtain the link to download the aligner. I did as instructed (sent an email to support@smartcat.pro with the subject "Aligner") a couple of hours ago. I guess I’ll have to wait for employees to get to their Russian office tomorrow. Sounds like a cumbersome way for a high-tech company to distribute their free software...


… it took a couple of hours before they sent me the (300 MB!) installer and serial number. Well worth the wait though. Looks like a lot of thought went into the program. I suspect they are using it to help push adoption of their online CAT tool (SmartCat).


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting from LiveDocs corpus

Advanced search






WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search