Experience with importing/exporting SDL packages into memoQ?
Thread poster: Kelly Neudorfer

Kelly Neudorfer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:08
German to English
Apr 6, 2016

I know that it's supposed to be "easy" to import an SDL package into memoQ, translate it, and then export it to send it back as a nice, neat SDL package, but do any of you have experience doing it? How easy is it really? I have a potential client interested in long-term cooperation (not one of those on the job board, but a very serious institution I'm familiar with), but they have SDL and I'm trying to figure out whether I can say, "no big deal, you can send me your SDL packages and I'll send you SDL packages back, but I work in memoQ" or whether it's going to become problematic once I actually try to do it.

So in your experience, do you run into frequent problems? Are they ones you can solve yourself or do you need the project manager to do something to the SDL file before you can import it into memoQ?

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Works like a dream Apr 6, 2016

Importing SDLPPX and exporting the completed translation as SDLRPX works like a dream in MemoQ.

Just be sure to use the 'Import Package' function, not the function for importing other files, or you won't get the TM and TB included (and MemoQ won't warn you about the TM and TB it doesn't import).

If you need to return a TM to them, you'll have to export it is TMX, though, as MemoQ can't handle SDLTM outside a package. I believe the return package doesn't contain the TM, but I could be wrong. In any case, Trados can import a TMX.

Kelly Neudorfer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent Apr 6, 2016

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks, Thomas.

Andrea Bauer  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
Italian to German
+ ...
Easy Apr 6, 2016

As Thomas said, it is very easy to handle SDL packages in MemoQ.
Import the sdlppx with the command "Import package" and to export it as a package you only have to choose export in predefined path (I am not quite sure how the voice is in English - in German it is: Export in gespeicherten Pfad). That's fundamental to get the whole SDL package to send back to the client.

Here's also a link that explains it in detail:

http://www.translationtribulations.com/2013/07/exporting-from-sdl-trados-studio.html

Eugenia Sánchez  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:08
Member (2005)
French to Spanish
+ ...
No problem at all Apr 6, 2016

From my experience, there is no problem at all. I usually work back and forward between Trados Studio (2011/2014) and memoQ 2015.

As Thomas said, the return package only contains the translated SDLXLIFF files, so you will have to export the TM as TXM if required.

Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:08
Romanian to English
+ ...
Works perfectly Apr 7, 2016

I've been working with this method with several clients for nearly two years now.

As they use SDL and I'm a dedicated MemoQ user:
- they send me the SDL package (sdlppx),
- I import it in MemoQ, including any TMs or TBs attached (it takes a few seconds really),
- then I add any of my own TMs or TBs I want to use (and untick them before)
- I export it. A return package (sdlrpx) will be created. This works great with partial deliveries, too, if you only select the relevant files and press Export, only those files will be exported in the SDL return package.

Never had any problems and I did tens of projects with this method.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience with importing/exporting SDL packages into memoQ?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search