MemoQ keeps messing up numbers willy-nilly
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:56
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 7, 2016

When are they going to get this right? I am sick and tired of reporting this issue and being told that in the next update or version it will be resolved. It obviously is still not resolved. I am now on a new computer with a fresh installation of MemoQ, but the problem keeps raising its ugly head, so I must conclude that it's inherent to the program.

Why can't MemoQ leave numbers alone? Just copy them, for Pete's sake! How is that difficult to understand? As it is, I simply cannot rely on MemoQ getting the numbers right, so I have to painstakingly check every entry.

If your solution is half-baked and unreliable, at least give me the option of switching it off. I don't want to be your guinnea pig. But then MemoQ has become this unbelievably convoluted and un-intuitive program package, that if you could turn it off, you wouldn't know where that switch would be. It would really be better if there were no flimsy gimmicks by default.

Exaggerated? Then please tell me why "2015-04-06" is a 99% hit (all these percentages are a JOKE anyway) of "6100"?

Numbers%20issues%20without%20end.jpg

Man, this program had so much promise. How can you scr$w it up so badly?!

Sorry for the rant, dear colleagues.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:56
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have to agree! Apr 7, 2016

I often experience a situation whereby a figure (that, as you say, should be simply ported over to the target cell) is replaced with a phone number, even with the word "phone"...

I agree that memoQ's figure handling is not working well lately.

Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 01:56
German to Turkish
+ ...
+1 Apr 7, 2016

:/

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Marinus: Apr 7, 2016

Exactly which version of memoQ are you running? I am on memoQ 2015 here (build 123), and find that it is quite good at numbers. In fact, as far as I can tell, they actually greatly improved it quite recently. Better than many other CAT tools, even. However, it will never be perfect, as it is a rather complicated problem, as far as I know.

One CAT tool might be slightly better with one particular segment, but this same "better" CAT tool might then fail miserably on your very next segment. There doesn't seem to be a magic bullet where numbers are concerned, and I have more or less gotten used to having to manually check every segment in any and every CAT tool.

[Edited at 2016-04-07 19:38 GMT]

Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:56
Spanish to French
+ ...
+1! Apr 15, 2016

Why can't MemoQ leave numbers alone? Just copy them, for Pete's sake! How is that difficult to understand? As it is, I simply cannot rely on MemoQ getting the numbers right, so I have to painstakingly check every entry.

I could not agree more!

If your solution is half-baked and unreliable, at least give me the option of switching it off. I don't want to be your guinnea pig. But then MemoQ has become this unbelievably convoluted and un-intuitive program package, that if you could turn it off, you wouldn't know where that switch would be. It would really be better if there were no flimsy gimmicks by default.

Exactly! We should be given the option to turn on/off what we do not need, as in the end, we are big boys (and girls) and we sure know what is useful to us (or not!).

Then please tell me why "2015-04-06" is a 99% hit (all these percentages are a JOKE anyway) of "6100"?

Yep! This happened to me too!! It could almost be hilarious if it was not dangerous!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ keeps messing up numbers willy-nilly

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search