https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/301615-exported_file_odt_format_varies_from_the_original_with_memoq.html

exported file (.odt) format varies from the original with memoQ
Thread poster: Olga Nuñez
Olga Nuñez
Olga Nuñez  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:28
French to Spanish
+ ...
May 3, 2016

I need some help, please.

I'm translating a technical manual (an OpenOffice file, i.e. .odt) using memoQ and the format of the exported translated file is different from the original one, so I have to copy and paste the translation parties on the original file to maintain the Client format.

Do you know any other procedure to avoid this problem? (The Client does not want to pass to InDesign, unfortunatelly).

Working this way, the translation procedure is muc
... See more
I need some help, please.

I'm translating a technical manual (an OpenOffice file, i.e. .odt) using memoQ and the format of the exported translated file is different from the original one, so I have to copy and paste the translation parties on the original file to maintain the Client format.

Do you know any other procedure to avoid this problem? (The Client does not want to pass to InDesign, unfortunatelly).

Working this way, the translation procedure is much longer.

Of course, I could work directly on the document to be translated, but I have many repetitions to catch and I want to be sure I copy and edit all of them properly.

Thanks for any help.

Olga
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:28
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Tags? May 3, 2016

The first question in similar situation: are all tags in place?

And a general remark: memoQ, while formally supporting ODT, seems to neglect it as compared to some other formats. I have had similar experience. I’d advise to translate ODT files in OmegaT, just export you translation memory to TMX for re-use.

Olga Nuñez
Italy
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I suppose they are... May 3, 2016

Tags in place?? I suppose they are... or at least the should.

I don't have this OmegaT software. What about Trados Studio for .odt files? Does it respect original .odt formats?

CD_Schuster
CD_Schuster
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Use memoQ 2013 R2 May 3, 2016

Hi Olga,

I actually experienced the same problem a while back.

As I had exported files correctly before, I tried importing/exporting the new file with older versions of memoQ. And this actually worked! I believe it was memoQ 2013 R2, though it may also work with other versions.

Hope this helps!

Greetings,
Christopher

Olga Nuñez
Italy
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Importing with options May 9, 2016

I'm using memoQ 2014 R2.

I solved the problem, at the moment, by importing with options (Importar con opciones, in Spanish).

Thank you so much for your help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

exported file (.odt) format varies from the original with memoQ

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »