Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to translate Memsource projects in memoQ
Thread poster: Jasper Kok
Jasper Kok  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:55
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
May 23, 2016

Dear colleagues,

One of my agency clients is using Memsource, but I do not particularly like this tool (neither the online version nor the off-line editor), to put it very mildly.
If they were able and willing to send the resources by e-mail (or make them available for download), would there be a possibility to do the translation in memoQ (2015, preferably) and deliver it to the client in such a way that they can process it further on their Memsource server environment?

Thanks for your views on this issue.

Jasper


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely! May 23, 2016

I do that on a daily basis. I download Memsource's XLIFF files from my customer's Memsource platform and work on them in memoQ. I either return the files by email or upload the XLIFF files to their portal.

Memsource's XLIFF files (which are bilingual, of course) have the *.mxliff extension and memoQ does not have that in its list of compatible XLIFF files. However, you can easily import the files by selecting XLIFF as the file format. If you also want to have memoQ import Memsource's tags (marked by greater-than and smaller-than characters) as internal (red) tags, you can do it easily by creating a cascading filter with RegEx tagger and simple settings.

I would be happy to send you my defined cascading filter if you wish. It did not much time at all to make. Just email me via my profile and I will send you an exported copy.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:55
Member
English to Italian
+ ...
mxliff/xliff May 23, 2016

Jasper Kok wrote:

Dear colleagues,

One of my agency clients is using Memsource, but I do not particularly like this tool (neither the online version nor the off-line editor), to put it very mildly.
If they were able and willing to send the resources by e-mail (or make them available for download), would there be a possibility to do the translation in memoQ (2015, preferably) and deliver it to the client in such a way that they can process it further on their Memsource server environment?


What Tomás said. It seems you can import .mxliff files just specifying the xliff filter, without "side effects" (at least, I haven't noticed any, so far...), however, I guess you should also ask your client to send you memories and glossaries to import into MQ, which would probably complicate things quite a bit (export TM, export TB, import, translate, export, merge...).

At any rate, I don't think Memsource is so bad, especially if you usually work with MQ.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jasper Kok  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:55
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That sounds wonderful! May 23, 2016

That really sounds great, Tomás! That would be a real time-saver!
I will contact you directly.

Jasper


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Jasper Kok  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:55
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My issues with Memsource May 23, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Jasper Kok wrote:

Dear colleagues,

One of my agency clients is using Memsource, but I do not particularly like this tool (neither the online version nor the off-line editor), to put it very mildly.
If they were able and willing to send the resources by e-mail (or make them available for download), would there be a possibility to do the translation in memoQ (2015, preferably) and deliver it to the client in such a way that they can process it further on their Memsource server environment?


What Tomás said. It seems you can import .mxliff files just specifying the xliff filter, without "side effects" (at least, I haven't noticed any, so far...), however, I guess you should also ask your client to send you memories and glossaries to import into MQ, which would probably complicate things quite a bit (export TM, export TB, import, translate, export, merge...).

At any rate, I don't think Memsource is so bad, especially if you usually work with MQ.


Dear Mirko,

I do realise that working in memoQ on Memsource projects would require the export, and subsequent import of TMs and TBs, but the things I don't like about Memsource are that it is impossible to add one's own resources and to have source segments on top and target below. Both are possible in memoQ and although it may not be important to others, these features do make a big difference for me.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly May 24, 2016

Jasper Kok wrote:
I do realise that working in memoQ on Memsource projects would require the export, and subsequent import of TMs and TBs, but the things I don't like about Memsource are that it is impossible to add one's own resources and to have source segments on top and target below. Both are possible in memoQ and although it may not be important to others, these features do make a big difference for me.

Yes, these are exactly the reasons why I prefer to spend two or three minutes importing Memsource files into memoQ.

I have processed big and small Memsource files in memoQ for my customers for several years now, and never noticed or heard of any compatibility issue. The XLIFF files produced by memoQ open nicely in the client editor and upload nicely in Memsource portals.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:55
Member (2004)
English to Italian
you can... May 24, 2016

Jasper Kok wrote:

but the things I don't like about Memsource are that it is impossible to add one's own resources


You just have to subscribe to a paid-for version...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:55
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Translating MemSource projects in memoQ Jun 9, 2016

I short post I wrote for those who are interested in translating MemSource projects using memoQ instead:

Quick Tips: How to translate a MemSource project using memoQ


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:55
Member (2008)
French to English
Confirmed segments in Memsource are unconfirmed in MemoQ? Oct 13, 2016

I imported a MXLIFF file into MemoQ as described, but segments that are already confirmed in Memsource (and therefore don't need any processing) show up as unconfirmed in MemoQ. Is there any way to correct this?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:55
Member (2008)
French to English
Translating Memsource projects in memoQ Oct 20, 2016

For the record, here is the procedure I am now using to translate Memsource files in memoQ. Thanks to Kilgray support for their detailed help.

1) Download the MXLIFF file from the Memsource cloud server
2) In memoQ, open Import with Options
3) In the Open dialog box, change the filetype from "All supported files" to "All files", select the MXLIFF file and Open
4) In the Document import options dialog box, use the XLIFF filter

The next steps are required if some of the segments have already been confirmed by the client. The memoQ filter doesn't recognize the MXLIFF way of confirming.
5) Select "Change filter and configuration" (or "... for all" for multiple files)
6) Select the Advanced tab
7) Check the "Import match rate" box at the bottom and in the "Use this attribute of the "trans-unit" element" field type "m:confirmed" (without the quotes).
8) Click OK and OK to import the file

9) Open the file for translation. You will see the Memsource tags such as {b>, etc.
10) Open Preparation > Regex Tagger and create a New Configuration - give it a name for use next time
11) Typing in the "Regular expression box" followed by "Add", enter the following filter, one line at a time:

SnipImage(2)

12) Save the configuration and click OK. All the Memsource tags should now turn into memoQ tags.

13) If some of the segments were previously confirmed by the client you will see their match rates as 1%. Sort the open file by Match rate, select all the 1% segments and confirm to have them confirmed in memoQ

13) Translate in memoQ as normal

To return the completed (or partially completed) file, download and install Memsource Desktop Editor, and log on to the server with the credentials supplied by the client.
14) Export the file from memoQ.
15) Open the finished file the Memsource Desktop Editor
16) Memsource doesn't recognize memoQ's Confirmed status, so after import it is necessary to Select All and Confirm in Memsource
17) Upload it to the Memsource server (Document tab)

[Edited at 2016-10-20 17:14 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sprachfuchs  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:55
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
So happy that there are people like you out there! :) Oct 29, 2016

I just wanted to thank you all for the information that really helped me!
I think the online version is just working so so slowly and I prefer to work with memoQ anyway.
Thanks to you, I can now work as fast as I'm used to.



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
m:confirmed equals 2 for reviewed segments Oct 29, 2016

John Fossey wrote:
7) Check the "Import match rate" box at the bottom and in the "Use this attribute of the "trans-unit" element" field type "m:confirmed" (without the quotes).
...
13) If some of the segments were previously confirmed by the client you will see their match rates as 1%. Sort the open file by Match rate, select all the 1% segments and confirm to have them confirmed in memoQ

Exactly what I do. May I just one little note to mention that m:confirmed contains a 2 (and not a 1) for reviewed segments? So, basically, I would edit your statement above to say "Sort the open file by Match rate, select all the 1% and 2% segments and confirm to have them confirmed in memoQ".

About two weeks ago I asked Kilgray's support people whether they expected add a MemSource filter soon, and they said that it is in their plans, although they could not confirm by when the filter would be available as there are other development priorities.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Martin Maciazka  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:55
Member (2016)
French to German
+ ...
Can´t open .mxliff file with memoQ 2015 Feb 11

Hello there,

I have completed a translation for a client in Memsource and would like to save it to my TMs via memoQ. I tried the approach, which is described here, but the .mxliff file is not visible when I try to import it - regardless if I specify the xliff filter or chose to open "all files".

I have also tried to import a bilingual file (doc and rtf), which I have exported from Memsource, into memoQ but the resulting files are empty. I suppose the problem might result from different indexing in Memsource bilingual formats and memoQ bilingual formats.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:55
English to Russian
Remove m from .mxliff Feb 15

If you only need it for updating your mQ TM, make a copy of your *.mxliff file and remove letter 'm' from its extension. Then open with mQ, select all segments and confirm.
NB. I forgot to mention it: you need the file as translated. If you take these steps and see your file empty, it means that you work with your original file. You need to work with the file as translated (as downloaded from server after translation).

[Edited at 2017-02-15 21:30 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edward edbradburn
Germany
Local time: 16:55
German to English
+ ...
Thanks to all, especially John! Mar 28

John Fossey wrote:

For the record, here is the procedure I am now using to translate Memsource files in memoQ. Thanks to Kilgray support for their detailed help.



Thanks John, this was a real help in just cleaning up a client's Memsource input file for working with in memoQ!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate Memsource projects in memoQ

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search