Thread poster: AStigg
AStigg
AStigg
Netherlands
Local time: 18:13
Chinese to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 2, 2016

I'm consering buying MemoQ and am currently using the 45-days demo version, but I am encountering some problems.

The short version: Yesterday I tried importing an original document and its translation, to align it and make it part of my TM, and also another document that I wanted to translated. I could not get this to work. (A somewhat complicating factor is that I don't have Word, I use OpenOffice, although in the end that proved not to be the problem). After numerous error messag
... See more
I'm consering buying MemoQ and am currently using the 45-days demo version, but I am encountering some problems.

The short version: Yesterday I tried importing an original document and its translation, to align it and make it part of my TM, and also another document that I wanted to translated. I could not get this to work. (A somewhat complicating factor is that I don't have Word, I use OpenOffice, although in the end that proved not to be the problem). After numerous error messages, I eventually managed to import documents only when I saved them on the desktop and made sure I had not opened any documents, neither the ones to be imported nor any other. That seems an overly complicated way of importing things. Is this a common issue in MemoQ? Is there anything I can do to prevent it happening in the future?

The long version, with all the error messages and various things I tried:

I selected both documents in the relevant place, the computer went to work and I got an error message:

Importing file [name of source file]:
Deze opdracht is niet beschikbaar. [this task is not available]
An internal error occurred during the alignment.
Imported and aligned 1 files.
Successful: 0
Failed: 1
Number of warnings: 0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The operation has been completed with some warnings.

Emailed the MemoQ helpdesk, and they soon got back to me: I could click on import the file with the "Add source documents as" instead of "Add source documents" and choose "Microsoft Word filter" then click on "Change filter and configuration" and pick the Aspose check-box. So I tried that, and got a different error message:

Importing file [name of source file]:
Kan geen toegang krijgen tot het bestand [name of source file].doc omdat het wordt gebruikt door een ander proces. [Cannot access the file [name of source file].doc because it is being used by a different process]

Now you'd advise me to close the document, but the thing is, I didn't have it open, and in fact hadn't opened it in days if not weeks. I had opened other documents, so I closed those and tried again, but still got the same error message. Back to the help desk, who suggested I restart the computer, don't run any software, just memoQ, and try to import the file. So I tried that, and got again a different error message:

Importing file [source document]:
Importing file [target document]:
Kan geen toegang krijgen tot het bestand saved.docx omdat het wordt gebruikt door een ander proces. [Could not access the file saved.docx because it is being used by a different process.]

I have no idea what saved.docs is, it's not a document I ever made and I couldn't find it in my folders either. So again I turn to the helpdesk, who suggest I save the documents I want to import to the desktop, close everything and try again. Fortunately, that worked.

Meanwhile, I had also tried to import another document that I wanted to translate, got the same error messages, and eventually resolved it with the same workaround.

So it's resolved for now, but this seems an awefully complicated way of doing something that shouldn't be all that hard. Has this happened to anyone else here? Is this a common issue? Is there something I can do to not have it happen in the future?

Thanks for any advice!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble importing .doc: is this normal?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »