Problem importing ALL entries from WFP tmx into MemoQ
Thread poster: Bree Salmon

Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:07
Japanese to English
Jul 12, 2016

I am having trouble getting all of the entries in a .tmx file to show up in my .mtm after an import from Wordfast Pro into MemoQ. When I export a TM in Wordfast Pro that has 105,000 entries into a .tmx file and then import it into MemoQ, the resulting TM only has 26,000 entries. I have confirmed that these entries are missing through concordance searches.

I am getting an error when importing. The error message is as follows:

================================================
General error.
TYPE:
System.InvalidOperationException

Line 252070, column 37

SOURCE:
MemoQ.TranslationMemory

CALL STACK:
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.Import.TMTmxParser.BadXml(Int32 lineNumber, Int32 linePosition)
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.Import.TMTmxParser.ReadSeg()
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.Import.TMTmxParser.ReadTUV(String& lang, Segment& ctxtPre, Segment& ctxtPost, String& ctxtId, Nullable`1& changedate, Nullable`1& createdate, String& changeauthor, String& createauthor)
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.Import.TMTmxParser.readTU()
at MemoQ.Common.ResFx.TmxParserBase.readBody()
at MemoQ.Common.ResFx.TmxParserBase.readTMX(Boolean onlyHeader)
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.Import.TMTmxParser.Import()
at MemoQ.TranslationMemory.Import.TMImporterBase`2.DoJob()
at MemoQ.Common.Job.JobBase.Execute(Object o)
=================================================

Does anybody know why this might be happening?

gfichter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:07
English
+ ...
Find the bad entry Jul 12, 2016

When errors like this appear, I find that the error message contains valuable hints about the problem. You need to open the TMX file is a good plain text editor, and find the offending line. You can use Notepad, but it is easier if you have a full-function editor like UltraEdit.

My guess is that there is a bad character in position 37 of line 252070. Delete that character and try again. You will very likely see more errors further down in the file, but just do the same thing with each of them. Eventually you will have a clean file and be back in business.

The error message might not be all that enlightenment, but the extra info is very helpful.

Good luck.

George

Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:07
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 12, 2016

Thanks for the advice.

I actually just fixed the problem by running the TMX through Wordfast Anywhere (uploading it and then downloading it). All the TUs are showing up now.

For an increasing number of reasons, including the problem I had here how it doesn't properly export tmx files, I guess Wordfast 3.x is really no longer worth using.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem importing ALL entries from WFP tmx into MemoQ

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search