Auto-translate problem
Thread poster: hhgygy

hhgygy
Hungary
Local time: 04:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 11, 2016

Hi there, I have a small problem with the application of auto-translation rules.
So I created a rule to convert number-only dates from English into Hungarian like this:
31.12.2016. should become 2016.12.31.
and from Hungarian into English like this:
2016.12.31 should become 31.12.2016.

I apply these rules and Memoq actually performs the conversion correctly.

Now, my problem is that even though Memoq automatically makes the conversion and completion, when I get to the QA phase, it always says:
there is a number missing and there is an extra number in the target, meaning that it does not recognize the converted numbers.
What do I do wrong?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
Working as designed? Aug 12, 2016

I don't know if that can be changed - pre-translate and QA are two entirely different processes and I think memoQ only checks whether there is a straight match of a number. I would just ignore those errors during the QA process.

hhgygy
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working as designed? Aug 12, 2016

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I don't know if that can be changed - pre-translate and QA are two entirely different processes and I think memoQ only checks whether there is a straight match of a number. I would just ignore those errors during the QA process.

But then it is should be re-designed, should not it?

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:07
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Same thing with other CATs Aug 13, 2016

I face the same issue with the QA process in Across. In Hindi, the verb-subject positioning often becomes opposite to that of English, which means if a number occurs at the start of the sentence in English it will move to the end of the sentence in Hindi. The QA process does not recognize this, and invariably points this out as a number-mismatch error, even though the highlighted numbers in the QA window are exactly the same, but are in different parts of the sentence. This also happens when I type the numbers in the Hindi font (Mangal, for example). The numbers look exactly the same on screen as the English numbers, but the QA thinks they are Hindi numbers and are different from the English ones, and flags them.

As Lincoln suggests, CAT tools are still dumb, and it is best to ignore such errors.

[Edited at 2016-08-13 06:57 GMT]

hhgygy
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ignoring warnings is not a solution Aug 13, 2016

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I face the same issue with the QA process in Across. In Hindi, the verb-subject positioning often becomes opposite to that of English, which means if a number occurs at the start of the sentence in English it will move to the end of the sentence in Hindi. The QA process does not recognize this, and invariably points this out as a number-mismatch error, even though the highlighted numbers in the QA window are exactly the same, but are in different parts of the sentence. This also happens when I type the numbers in the Hindi font (Mangal, for example). The numbers looks exactly the same on screen as the English numbers, but the QA thinks they are Hindi numbers and are different from the English ones, and flags them.

As Lincoln suggests, CAT tools are still dumb, and it is best to ignore such errors.

[Edited at 2016-08-13 04:05 GMT]

But your suggestion is no solution to the problem because if I ignore this type of warning, I might ignore actually missing/extra numbers.

[Edited at 2016-08-13 06:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auto-translate problem

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search