Is it possible to import a partly translated file into MemoQ2015?
Thread poster: inesec
inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 4, 2016

Dear wise colleagues, the issue is as follows: I have translated appr. half of a huge file with Fluency but now want to import this file into MemoQ2015. Is it possible to retain the previous translation and integrate it with translation with MQ or shall I save the translated part in Word or Excel and proceed with the non-translated part.
I am a computer idiot, so please bear with me and million thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2016-09-04 15:28 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elif Baykara  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:05
Member (2015)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Export as bilingual, import to memoq? Sep 4, 2016

I don't know whether this approach is possible at all. I would export the file from Fluency as a bilingual file or a project package, and then import it to memoQ.

Probably, the project folder in Fluency contains a translatable file (eg. xliff). You can prepare a new project in memoQ and use that file as the project file.

Or you can simply export the translation as a word/excel file and prepare a new project in memoQ using that file.

The first to options would retain the original segmentation. I am not sure about the third one.

Elif

[Edited at 2016-09-04 17:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-09-04 17:09 GMT]

Marcus König  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:05
Member (2009)
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Export to TMX and pre-translate Sep 5, 2016

I would probably use the old and trusted method.

You should be able to export your work to TMX in Fluency, start a new project in memoQ. In memoQ, simply import the source file again (import as new). Import your TMX to one of the Translation Memories set up for the project in memoQ. You can now run pre-translation using memoQ and have only exact matches inserted during the process. A similar procedure applies for the Terminology Data Base. You can now finish the project using memoQ.

inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 5, 2016

Marcus König wrote:

I would probably use the old and trusted method.

You should be able to export your work to TMX in Fluency, start a new project in memoQ. In memoQ, simply import the source file again (import as new). Import your TMX to one of the Translation Memories set up for the project in memoQ. You can now run pre-translation using memoQ and have only exact matches inserted during the process. A similar procedure applies for the Terminology Data Base. You can now finish the project using memoQ.

Your advice is truly invaluable and very much appreciated. My only concern is that the text has a lot of tokens with and without spaces. I hope that MQ'll refrain from introducing any Auto changes and corrections in this regard:(

[Edited at 2016-09-05 09:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to import a partly translated file into MemoQ2015?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search