https://www.proz.com/forum/memoq_support/307106-antivirus_software_vs_memoq.html

Antivirus software vs memoQ
Thread poster: MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
Sep 30, 2016

Hello, everyone

It's been made clear (by several posts in this forum, including Kilgray's response to my question) that the performance (speediness) of memoQ is sometimes affected by antivirus software.

As I haven't tried all those commercially available programs, I'm interested in knowing about other users' "rules of thumb" on which AV software seems to be not working comfortably in conjunction with memoQ.

I'm using ESET, and it's perfectly Okay.
... See more
Hello, everyone

It's been made clear (by several posts in this forum, including Kilgray's response to my question) that the performance (speediness) of memoQ is sometimes affected by antivirus software.

As I haven't tried all those commercially available programs, I'm interested in knowing about other users' "rules of thumb" on which AV software seems to be not working comfortably in conjunction with memoQ.

I'm using ESET, and it's perfectly Okay.

How about other products?

How about the balance between the product's power to protect, and interference with memoQ?

[Edited at 2016-09-30 18:25 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another one for ESET Oct 1, 2016

In our office we all have ESET -- even the server on which memoQ Server runs -- and it works beautifully.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:05
German to English
+ ...
I am a huge fan of ESET Oct 1, 2016

and it works nicely with MemoQ2015.

[Edited at 2016-10-01 08:41 GMT]

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:05
German to Turkish
+ ...
McAfee Security Center on my Dell laptop Oct 1, 2016

So far no problems with memoQ 2014 R2 and 2015.

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kaspersky Internet security Oct 1, 2016

This works without ANY issue with memoQ as well.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Comodo Internet Security (CIS) Oct 1, 2016

Not long ago I finished several translations via MemoQ and had no prob with CIS at all.

- Hardware? (AC-powered notebook i5/some Nvidia/4GB RAM/SSD 240GB for OS and HDD 750GB@7200 for software)
- Which OS? (W8.1 x64)
- MemoQ version? (recent translator free edition)
- Doc type? (mixed)
- Doc/TM size had issues? (up to 200 pages with diagrams/some 25K TU's with real-time sharing via LT)
- AV settings? (defau
... See more
Not long ago I finished several translations via MemoQ and had no prob with CIS at all.

- Hardware? (AC-powered notebook i5/some Nvidia/4GB RAM/SSD 240GB for OS and HDD 750GB@7200 for software)
- Which OS? (W8.1 x64)
- MemoQ version? (recent translator free edition)
- Doc type? (mixed)
- Doc/TM size had issues? (up to 200 pages with diagrams/some 25K TU's with real-time sharing via LT)
- AV settings? (default)
. . .
No speed issues encountered, so there're too many questions for troubleshooting.
Collapse

MaxOO (X)
MaxOO (X)
Japan
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 3, 2016

Hi, all

Thank you for your feedback!

I was expecting that there might be one or more AV programs that adversely affect the performance (especially the speediness) of memoQ.

But according to your posts, I think I should look into other elements of software and/or hardware should I have a slowness issue.

Peace,
Max

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
True in my experience, you need to watch out Mar 8, 2022

Performance CAN suffer. I've just noticed that I need to set up an exclusion for the memoQ data folder (both memoQ client and server) or else things like TM repair can be 10+ times slower!

I was using Windows Security (Defender), so no 3rd party antivirus was involved. TM repair saw a dramatic performance increase after the exclusion. Haven't checked other functionality, but it might make sense to disable checking of all memoQ data using exclusions.

For memoQ clients, d
... See more
Performance CAN suffer. I've just noticed that I need to set up an exclusion for the memoQ data folder (both memoQ client and server) or else things like TM repair can be 10+ times slower!

I was using Windows Security (Defender), so no 3rd party antivirus was involved. TM repair saw a dramatic performance increase after the exclusion. Haven't checked other functionality, but it might make sense to disable checking of all memoQ data using exclusions.

For memoQ clients, disable it for the location where your projects are (probably Documents\My MemoQ Projects) and for your data folder (c:\ProgramData\memoQ).
For servers, set up your exclusion for the data folder, which is by default at c:\ProgramData\MemoQ Server.

[Edited at 2022-03-08 19:35 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Antivirus software vs memoQ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »