Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:01
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 6, 2016

Hi all
Does anyone know if there is a way to easily back up resources (memories, termbases, rules etc) in order to use them on another computer?

I have tried the back up project function but it has never worked. It keeps running into a error during restore. (both memoQ 2015 versions are the same and up to date)

However, rather than importing individual projects, I would like to move my whole resources.

I have only found the way to do it on a per file basis (export the TM as TMX and so on, but that is just too time consuming and boring).

Maybe backing up some file folder somewhere would do the trick, I don't know.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Clone Oct 7, 2016

You could just clone your entire hard drive to an external drive.

With the Mac this is easy, for example with Carbon Copy Cloner. https://bombich.com

I imagine something similar exists for PC.

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:01
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

Remote access? Oct 7, 2016

This is not a direct answer to your question, but anyway: I've come to the conclusion that using remote access software works far better than any means of file transfer. I just work with my main computer from any place want. No need to keep files up to date (neither before you leave your main office, nor when you come back), no need to install your software on two computers (let alone to keep it up to date). Only drawback: You need a reasonably fast and stable internet connection (but you want that anyway). Reasonable means that I can work using my cell phone, even when I only have GPRS.

Maybe this could be an option for you.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:01
Member (2008)
French to English
Moving resources Oct 7, 2016

In MemoQ go to Options > Locations. Here you will find the paths to the Projects and Resources folders.

Simple copy the entire folders (there are six, MemoQ's Recycle Bin default location is inside the Projects folder) over to the new location and make sure the paths in the new computer are set correctly in this window.

[Edited at 2016-10-07 12:46 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:01
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This is free Oct 7, 2016

http://lifehacker.com/5839753/the-best-disk-cloning-app-for-windows

Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:01
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Oct 7, 2016

Thank you John, Tom and Erik.

I will look into all of your suggestions. They seem quite useful.

Best regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backing up resources to use them on another computer

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search