Fuzzy translation and memoQ
Thread poster: Péter Tófalvi

Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 15:47
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 25, 2016

Is memoQ able to do what Trados can easily handle, namely fuzzy translation based on translator's previous activity?

Example (separate segments):
12 cubic meters
25 cubic meters
168 cubic meters
etc.

So, I only have to translate “12 cubic meters” to my target language, and memoQ does the rest for all similar segments. Is this possible?

PT

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:47
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes!! Oct 25, 2016

Absolutely. I use it every day!

You only translate the first instance, and then all the rest are 99% matches.

Even more, with memoQ's Match Patch feature, you have the same concept (although not a 99% but a 94% percent) with terms you may have in your termbase. An example:

"Turn on the camera to begin the process."
"Turn on the engine to begin the process."

If you have both "camera" and "engine" as terms and their target-language equivalents in your termbase, memoQ will replace the equivalent for "camera" with the equivalent for "engine" and creates a segment with 94% match. All you need to do is to adjust gender/number in the rest of the sentence. I use this a lot, especially for sentences that contain a model name and then change to a different model name: define both model names as terms, and ta-daa!

When it comes to numbers, standard sizes and measurements, etc. on top of memoQ's standard settings you can also create other automatic substitutions for measurement units, quite easily with simple regular expressions. For example, I have different autosubstitutions defined bolt and screw measurements, like:
M4x10 mm
M20x10,5 mm
Ø10,50 mm
When I translate a segment with, e.g. M4x10 mm and have another segment containg any other measurement with a similar measurement, I get it subsituted automatically. I can gladly send you the definitions if you wish, but they are easy to create!

Last month I completed a job with 150,000 words in tools from German, and memoQ's Match Patch plus autosubstitutions helped me tremendously. If I had had to replace measurements manually for thousands of different parts with same wording but different measurements, I would have lost even weeks of my time. memoQ worked beautifully for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fuzzy translation and memoQ

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search