Google translate API error in MemoQ: (403) Forbidden
Thread poster: Ehsan Karimi

Ehsan Karimi
Iran
Member (2014)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Dec 8, 2016

I've been using the Google Translate API in MemoQ for a couple of years but I have been receiving this error for the past few weeks: "A network error occurred: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden". I've tried creating new keys and adding my billing information again but the problem wasn't solved. Does anyone have any idea what I should do to address this issue?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So tempted.... Dec 8, 2016

...to express how wrong I think it is to use Google Translate in general, not only because of the appalling translation quality (which in most cases makes you waste time fixing things instead of translating from scratch), but also because of privacy concerns in the long run about storage of your customers materials without authorisation, or because MT of this kind causes so many problems with terminology, pragmatics, theme/rheme, etc.

I am so happy I can control myself and keep my mouth shut!

Ehsan Karimi
Iran
Member (2014)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't use it for all my translations Dec 8, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

...to express how wrong I think it is to use Google Translate in general, not only because of the appalling translation quality (which in most cases makes you waste time fixing things instead of translating from scratch), but also because of privacy concerns in the long run about storage of your customers materials without authorisation, or because MT of this kind causes so many problems with terminology, pragmatics, theme/rheme, etc.

I am so happy I can control myself and keep my mouth shut!

Dear Tomás

Thanks for expressing your concern. First of all, the quality of GT depends on the language pair. Secondly, I don't use it for jobs with privacy concerns. GT may also provide bad suggestions for certain types of jobs. So the translator can easily decide not to use it. I may use GT's suggestions for 20-30% of a specific job but it helps me save my time anyway. Thirdly, GT's translations are merely suggestions and you are given the option to actually edit them; the suggestions cannot and should not be trusted.
All in all, you have successfully identified the problems with GT's machine translation but it does not mean it should never be used. Isn't it why it was created in the first place and isn't there a reason such plug-in has been introduced in MemoQ?

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
403 happening here as well, both in MemoQ and in SDL Studio Dec 8, 2016

It started in my case not later than 24 hours ago (funny though: "I have been receiving this error for the past few weeks) I have checked my billing data - even if there's been no charges for some time - everything dandy.

Looks lo me it is API V2.x+1 hiccup.

In the mean time let's hope Both SDL (Paul?...) and Kilgray fire department are slowly waking up.

Regards

smo

PS: and it is not a fault of firewall (could be but is not). Left a message on MemoQ BBS

[urejeno ob 2016-12-08 23:01 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Luke 18:10 Dec 8, 2016

Two men went up into the Temple to pray, the one a Pharisee, the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank thee that I am not as other men are. I do not rob, I do not deal unjustly. I am free from wickedness. I am not even like this publican. I fast twice in each week. I give to God one-tenth of all that I have. And I keep my mouth shut' But the publican standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God be merciful to me, a sinner!' because I use Google translate...

I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
my problem with Google translate solved Dec 9, 2016

I have checked the Google API console and my projects there and found some inconsistencies there. For instance my VISA data were outdated even if there have been no charges for months. I can not say for sure of course but in your case it could be that your quota need to be checked - see the traffic on your Google translate API account.

useful entry point: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/dashboard (you will probably be asked your user name and pwd etc)

Regards

smo

PS: Kilgray reacted to my support ticket with a useful hint. duly noted;)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google translate API error in MemoQ: (403) Forbidden

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search