A few intermediate-level questions about the functionality
Thread poster: BNN Medical Tr.

BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 23:10
Member (Aug 2017)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 22

Hello! I know these are a lot of questions, and I'd be very grateful if you could answer even one of them. I am very new to CAT tools, and memoQ is the first one I've used. I have tried searching all of the questions below in memoQ's Knowledge Base, but it is written in a very technical way that's difficult to understand.

1- Is there a function similar to the AutoCorrect function in Word? As in, I can type "pdp" as a shortcut to yield "participante da pesquisa" in the target segment? If so, can the list be imported from Word?

2- How can I tell which settings are global and which are project-specific? When the two conflict, which category of setting has priority within a document?

3- What are the differences between a word in:
a. the non-translatable list
b. the ignore list
c. the forbidden words list

4- I quickly added several document pairs to LiveDocs and thought they were very well auto-aligned in general, with few mistakes, so I committed the (unreviewed) alignments to the TM. Later, I noticed there were actually many alignment mistakes. How should I proceed to correct these in the smartest manner? Is there a TM-editing function where I can delete the wrong entries? Or perhaps if I go and review the alignments and re-commit the fragments to the TM, the (now correct) alignments will automatically overwrite the bad ones? Or even start the TM over from scratch since it's so new and I won't be losing much? (those are a lot of question marks, I know, and I'm sorry)

5- What is the best way to handle plurals in the term base? For example, consider the term "subject", which is translated in Portuguese as "participante da pesquisa". The plural, "subjects", becomes "participantes da pesquisa". Should I:
a. make separate term base entries for "subject" and "subjects", or
b. one entry as "subject*" -> "participante* da pesquisa", or
c. one entry as "subject|s" -> "participante|s da pesquisa", or
d. add the plurals with the little "plus" icon within the same term base entry, or
e. something else?

6- What is the best way to handle capitalization in the term base? In the above example, "Subject(s)" is capitalized as "Participante(s) da Pesquisa". Do I make separate term base entries for the capitalized version of the word, or do I add them with the plus icon within the same entry?

Many many thanks!



[Edited at 2017-08-22 03:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-08-22 03:57 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 23:10
Member (Aug 2017)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
item 1 Aug 22

Regarding item 1, I found a blog post about it and successfully imported the AutoCorrect from Word! I'm so happy!

[Edited at 2017-08-22 12:42 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:10
German to English
MemoQ Yahoo support group Aug 22

You might try posting to the MemoQ Yahoo support group. You'll reach more expert users there.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Elif Baykara  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 04:10
Member (2015)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Could you also share the link to this blog post here? Aug 22

BNN Medical Tr. wrote:

Regarding item 1, I found a blog post about it and successfully imported the AutoCorrect from Word! I'm so happy!

[Edited at 2017-08-22 12:42 GMT]


tia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
Local time: 23:10
Member (Aug 2017)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Certainly! Aug 22

Elif Baykara wrote:

BNN Medical Tr. wrote:

Regarding item 1, I found a blog post about it and successfully imported the AutoCorrect from Word! I'm so happy!

[Edited at 2017-08-22 12:42 GMT]


Could you share the link?


Certainly! http://www.translationtribulations.com/2014/01/memoq-autocorrect-update-ms-word-export.html

Create an empty Autocorrect list in memoQ and navigate to the memoQ resources folder, and open the empty list, to get the correct XML header for your language pair. The XML header should be put at the beginning of the Word document containing your list before saving it to a .txt with UTF-8 encoding (then change the .txt to .mqres).

If you still have issues, I'll try to help.

[Edited at 2017-08-23 17:42 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:10
Member
English to French
A helpful guide Aug 23

I found Kevin Lossner's MemoQ e-guide very helpful in real life to "reach the next level", with hands-on scenarii and clear explanations. His blog is here: http://www.translationtribulations.com and the e-book title is "MemoQ 6 in quick steps"

The guide may be a bit outdated (5 years' old?) and not cover the latest MemoQ features, but I think it would still be relevant to get started with the latest versions.

Philippe

And I just realise you already visited that blog!

[Edited at 2017-08-23 07:38 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 04:10
English to Russian
Some answers Aug 23

Hello,

>> 3- What are the differences between a word in:
>> a. the non-translatable list
>> b. the ignore list
>> c. the forbidden words list
Non-translatables are text units which are not translated from one language to another (e.g. "Apple"). Ignore list items are related to spellchecking, these are words that should be ignored by the spellchecker even if spelled incorrectly. If a term is marked as forbidden (by checking the box) in a term base, this translation may not be used if the source term appears in the source segment, and this is flagged by QA checks and in the list of hits on the right side.

>> 4- I quickly added several document pairs to LiveDocs and thought they were very well auto-aligned in general, with few mistakes, so I committed the (unreviewed) alignments to the TM. Later, I noticed there were actually many alignment mistakes. How should I proceed to correct these in the smartest manner? Is there a TM-editing function where I can delete the wrong entries? Or perhaps if I go and review the alignments and re-commit the fragments to the TM, the (now correct) alignments will automatically overwrite the bad ones? Or even start the TM over from scratch since it's so new and I won't be losing much? (those are a lot of question marks, I know, and I'm sorry)
Yes, memoQ has a TM editing feature. You can display TUs created between certain date/time instants and then remove them. In your case, however, I would recommend to recreate the TM (delete and create a new one), add the new one to the project and then update it from all the documents which you have translated recently. There is Confirm and Update command under Preparation tab for this - it simply writes all segments of certain status (e.g. Confirmed) to the TM without performing propagation of translations as the Confirm command does.
You can also realign and update the TM, but all the segments will be updated only if you don't split/join segments, because by splitting and joining you are effectively changing the context of the segments and source segment text itself.

>> 5- What is the best way to handle plurals in the term base? For example, consider the term "subject", which is translated in Portuguese as "participante da pesquisa". The plural, "subjects", becomes "participantes da pesquisa". Should I:
>> a. make separate term base entries for "subject" and "subjects", or
>> b. one entry as "subject*" -> "participante* da pesquisa", or
>> c. one entry as "subject|s" -> "participante|s da pesquisa", or
>> d. add the plurals with the little "plus" icon within the same term base entry, or
>> e. something else?
Use 50% Prefix (default) setting if the inflections of the term are formed by adding letters to the end of the base form. Use "Custom" + * or | symbols if inflections are formed by adding letters in the middle of the term or by changing letters. In the case of "subject" you use 50% Prefix setting, but for "participante da pesquisa" you need to set the text to "participante* da pesquisa" which will also change the Matching value to "Custom". This is because in the inflected forms letters are added in the middle of the entire term, not only at the end of the last word.

>> 6- What is the best way to handle capitalization in the term base? In the above example, "Subject(s)" is capitalized as "Participante(s) da Pesquisa". Do I make separate term base entries for the capitalized version of the word, or do I add them with the plus icon within the same entry?
The default case sensitivity setting in term bases is "Permissive". This means that memoQ will find a term if it contains the same letters as the base form or the upper-case equivalents of these letters. However, with Permissive setting, memoQ will not find "microsoft" if you set term text to "Microsoft", because the first "M" is already uppercase and is not allowed to be in lower case. If you use "No" (case-insensitive), memoQ will also find "microsoft" because case does not matter. In some cases, for example when you are supplied with big Excel termbases from clients, I would advise you to set default case sensitivity of the termbase to "No" instead of "Permissive", because such termbases may contain regular terms with uppercase letters instead of lowercase letters.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Viviane Marx  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:10
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks Aug 23

Could you share the link? [/quote]

Certainly! http://www.translationtribulations.com/2014/01/memoq-autocorrect-update-ms-word-export.html

Create an empty Autocorrect list in memoQ and navigate to the memoQ resources folder, and open it, to get the correct XML. header for your language pair. The XML header should be put at the beginning of the Word document containing your list before saving it to a .txt with UTF-8 encoding (then change the .txt to .mqres).

If you still have issues, I'll try to help. [/quote]

It's really useful.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A few intermediate-level questions about the functionality

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search