Thread poster: Nico Wagner
Nico Wagner
Nico Wagner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:51
English to German
Oct 31, 2017

Hello everyone,

I used to have an ongoing project in memoQ 2014 where I imported an Excel file that contains length restrictions (by character) in one column.

However, the QA setting I used for this (see attached screenshot) seems to have disappeared in memoQ 2015 and memoQ 8, and has been replaced by a regex function that only lets me check the length by Pixel and other values, but not by character count.

Is there any way to do this in memoQ 8?

... See more
Hello everyone,

I used to have an ongoing project in memoQ 2014 where I imported an Excel file that contains length restrictions (by character) in one column.

However, the QA setting I used for this (see attached screenshot) seems to have disappeared in memoQ 2015 and memoQ 8, and has been replaced by a regex function that only lets me check the length by Pixel and other values, but not by character count.

Is there any way to do this in memoQ 8?

Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/pJCgG
Collapse

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:51
Member (2016)
English to German
... Oct 31, 2017

I don't know about memoQ 8, but in memoQ 15 this was moved to a new "Length" tab in the "Edit QA settings" window.

length

Nico Wagner
Portugal
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 31, 2017

Hi Jan,

thank you for your reply.

The problem is that this new window lets me check for Pixels, Inches, Millimeters, anything but plain character count.

If I have a value of "8" in a comment, my translation can't be longer than 8 characters, and I haven't found a way to do this with the new window...

Any ideas?

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Oct 31, 2017

Does your window look different than the one in the screenshot I posted?
Right near the top:

(Character-based length check
X Check length of translation based on the value stored with the row or in its comment)

Nico Wagner
Portugal
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 31, 2017

Hi Jan,

yes, my windows does look the same, but the check doesn't seem to be working. Please see the attached screenshot, in which I have a comment with the value "6", and a much longer translation, which does not result in a warning being generated.

https://imgur.com/a/YaXpG

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Oct 31, 2017

Sorry, I have no idea then, the feature works in my memoQ 2015...

Nico Wagner
Portugal
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
... Oct 31, 2017

I just opened the project in memoQ 2015 with the same settings, and there is no warning generated either...

There must be something else missing, any ideas?

Nico Wagner
Portugal
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
... Nov 13, 2017

I finally got this to work with the help of the Kilgray support.

Seems like I was importing the comments column from Excel as length restrictions already (instead of as plain comments), and then used these values as length restrictions again in the QA settings for my project.

The correct procedure is: Import the comments from Excel as comments into memoQ, and then use these comments as length restrictions in the QA settings.

Thanks for all your input!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Length check based on comments

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »