What should I do when MemoQ's connection to the server is lost?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 3, 2017

I have some segments I've translated in the editor but can't commit them to the TM since the connection was lost 10 minutes ago. I'm soon going to sleep but will keep the laptop powered on during the night and resume my work tomorrow morning.

When I resume my work and if the connection would still be lost, in order to not loose these segments I have translated, what should I do? For example, how do I save locally and disconnect from the server?

Or should I just close MemoQ and restart and even the segments that are not committed to the TM will still be there in the editor? But in that case, I must be sure I have saved locally first, and how do I check which is active: server save or local save? Because even if it says the connection is lost it might keep the server mode active.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple Nov 3, 2017

If you notice that the server is down or when it is extremely slow and is slowing you down, simply select the Manual synchronisation in the Synchronization Behaviour in the ribbon (tab Documents).

Once the server is back or operating normally, you can select your document and synchronise it again with the server (with the Synchronize button in the ribbon). I think you will this way be able to continue your work, although it will not be stored in the server while it is down.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Nov 3, 2017

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
Or should I just close MemoQ and restart and even the segments that are not committed to the TM will still be there in the editor?

Yes, they will be there. Even with an online project, there is a local copy of the segments on your laptop. You can turn off the laptop and resynchronize with the server when it is back. Your work will be then uploaded to the server (and the work of other team members on other files or on another part of your file will be sent to your computer as well).

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still get Failed to add entry to the translation memory Nov 3, 2017

I changed to Manual synchronization as you suggested and then tried to commit this segment I had translated, hoping it would now go into the local copy. But I still get this Failed to add entry to the translation memory. Shouldn't it have gone into the local copy?

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:51
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Disable the unavailable TM Nov 4, 2017

I changed to Manual synchronization as you suggested and then tried to commit this segment I had translated, hoping it would now go into the local copy. But I still get this Failed to add entry to the translation memory. Shouldn't it have gone into the local copy?

Yes, this sometimes happens for some reason. You can always create a local TM and disable the server one, because this issue does not go away in manual synch and it sometimes freezes the screen for a few seconds or just lags every time I confirm a segment because the server is unavailable, even with manual synch enabled.
Sometimes, server problems go away in a few minutes, sometimes it takes hours or full days... So, if this issue persists, you might have to go into the TM section and disable the unavailable TM temporarily and re-enable it once you think it's back on or at the end and synch the project at that time.
Good luck.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is that I need to make Concordance searches Nov 4, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion Cristiana, it might have worked with a smaller project with not so specialized terminology. But I can't complete this project without making Concordance searches because of the many specialized terms.

And I guess that once I've lost connection to the server, there is no way of accessing this TM? Or has it been saved locally somewhere on my laptop immediately when I opened the project? So that it's just a matter of inactivating the server TM and activating this local copy of the TM?

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Synchronize offline Nov 4, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion Cristiana, it might have worked with a smaller project with not so specialized terminology. But I can't complete this project without making Concordance searches because of the many specialized terms.

And I guess that once I've lost connection to the server, there is no way of accessing this TM? Or has it been saved locally somewhere on my laptop immediately when I opened the project? So that it's just a matter of inactivating the server TM and activating this local copy of the TM?

The next time the server works, do this:
"Project home" > "Translation memories" > choose the project TM and hit the button "Synchronize offline".
This will download the remote TM and create an offline copy on your computer, which you can then use to work offline if the server is ever down again.

(Alternatively, you could also hit the button "Export to TMX", which will save an exported copy of the TM at a location of your choice, which you can then import into the project.)

You can do the same thing with Term Bases, if required.

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:51
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
That's unfortunate Nov 4, 2017

But I can't complete this project without making Concordance searches because of the many specialized terms.

And I guess that once I've lost connection to the server, there is no way of accessing this TM?

That's unfortunate. After you lose connectivity, there isn't a lot you can do, you just have to wait for the server to recover I guess...

For future projects, it's always a good idea to hit Manual synch before starting work. It's faster as well. Obviously, I forget this half the time... It would be nice to be able to set that as a default for all projects at my end instead of hoping to remember it every time or hoping that the internet and the server will be fine all the time...

If you are pressed for time, you can always continue working as best you can and check your work when the server is back online. It's the weekend, so that might not be until Monday anyway. It creates a bit of extra work for you, but it's not very difficult to check terminology by running a QA or simply by filtering segments with certain terms in them and checking them manually if they are not in a TB.

HTH

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The TM is working again Nov 4, 2017

Luckily the project manager was working today, and now everything works fine again.

Thanks Cristiana and Jan, so I have two alternatives then, don't I?:

1. "Project home" > "Translation memories" > choose the project TM and hit the button "Synchronize offline".

OR

2. Hit manual sync button.

But for the second alternative, would this work even when the server is down so that I still can continue doing Concordance searches? Is either of the alternatives as good as the other?

Now that I have the server connection back again, what should I do to be safe if the server would go down again?

Jan Truper
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
... Nov 4, 2017

Luckily the project manager was working today, and now everything works fine again.

Thanks Cristiana and Jan, so I have two alternatives then, don't I?:

1. "Project home" > "Translation memories" > choose the project TM and hit the button "Synchronize offline".

OR

2. Hit manual sync button.

But for the second alternative, would this work even when the server is down so that I still can continue doing Concordance searches? Is either of the alternatives as good as the other?

Now that I have the server connection back again, what should I do to be safe if the server would go down again?

These are not alternatives -- "Manual sync" will not put a copy of the project TM onto your computer.
In order to have the TM at your disposal if the server goes down again, follow

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I'm safe next time this happens Nov 4, 2017

I have now both a local version and the online original of the TM, and there is a checkmark before each of them, so I suppose both gets updated at the same time. Will always do this procedure for every MemoQ project from now on. Thanks Jan.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search